Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

OEM HID Replacement Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM HID Replacement Headlights

Anyone replace their factory 13/14 OEM HID headlights with the direct replacement Spyder Projector headlights or any others? Will they really out preform the stock headlights? Or will I not notice a difference since they utilize the stock HID's?

I'm looking to spread the light out a little more to make driving on back roads safer. This way I don't need to use my fog lights just so I can see to make the turn. I already had the dealership try to adjust them twice without any luck.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just need to retrofit those stock lights and swap the projectors on them. That way you see everything on the road without the use of fog lights.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 13F150fx4
Anyone replace their factory 13/14 OEM HID headlights with the direct replacement Spyder Projector headlights or any others? Will they really out preform the stock headlights? Or will I not notice a difference since they utilize the stock HID's?

I'm looking to spread the light out a little more to make driving on back roads safer. This way I don't need to use my fog lights just so I can see to make the turn. I already had the dealership try to adjust them twice without any luck.
Hi.

Replacing yer OEM HID's with that garbage is a Huge step backward. Avoid Spyder, Recon, Anzo, etc, headlights like the plague. 110% junk and a spectacular waste of money. ( BTW - in case yer wondering, NONE of those are rated to take an HID capsule, despite the plethora of uninformed folks who have done just that - output and beam pattern remains terrible).

If you want quality, substantive improvements, an EVox/R projector will drop right in. The improvement is enormous and well worth the effort. Invest the money you saved by NOT buying useless trash into this effort instead.

Search the forum for the many threads discussing this specific upgrade path.

A sample (one of many): https://www.f150forum.com/f83/possib...0/#post3492930

ETA: You can complement the above upgrade with a pair of XB Led fogs for a nice improvement in fog beam performance.

Everything you need is available from these fine folks: www.theretrofitsource.com

Good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 01-18-2016 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MGD:
ktheo (10-13-2016), lewis26 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

Replacing yer OEM HID's with that garbage is a Huge step backward. Avoid Spyder, Recon, Anzo, etc, headlights like the plague. 110% junk and a spectacular waste of money. ( BTW - in case yer wondering, NONE of those are rated to take an HID capsule, despite the plethora of uninformed folks who have done just that - output and beam pattern remains terrible).

If you want quality, substantive improvements, an EVox/R projector will drop right in. The improvement is enormous and well worth the effort. Invest the money you saved by NOT buying useless trash into this effort instead.

Search the forum for the many threads discussing this specific upgrade path.

A sample (one of many): https://www.f150forum.com/f83/possib...0/#post3492930

ETA: You can complement the above upgrade with a pair of XB Led fogs for a nice improvement in fog beam performance.

Everything you need is available from these fine folks: www.theretrofitsource.com

Good luck
MGD
What he said^, damn shame Recon can't make a decent replacement headlight, their LED tail lights are top notch.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured but was curious what everyone's thoughts were. I'm running LED fogs which help greatly but it would be nice to not have to rely on them.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
What he said^, damn shame Recon can't make a decent replacement headlight, their LED tail lights are top notch.
I honestly prefer the design of the factory HID housings. As MGD said, the ease of upgrading to the much superior EVOX-R projector, and the options for accessory LED lighting with them. I'm a huge fan of the C-Bar LED strips that Morimoto sells. The illuminated F-150 logo inside also looks cool.

OEM quality always helps too.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Swap in some LED bulbs (D3S) and you will be very happy.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I would keep my stock HID's if the truck came with them. I have a set of the HID spyders on back order and I have ordered the conversion harness from morimoto, stock D3S bulbs,ballast,ignitors everything to make the lights work from Bilinvics with a stock set or the spyders that Ive ordered. Some at this link have successfully done this for pre 2013 HID models.https://www.f150forum.com/f59/sharp-...79231/index11/
From the pics posted from what I have seen this is a improvement just for us that have the hagolen factory lights and want the factory type HID light. If you back up in that thread the light output is much better than the stock hagolens, more like what you already have. If I had stock HID's I wouldn't change mine. Yes the Spyders are hit or miss as they are cheaper so hopefully I will get a good set. All these guys in the thread so far said they have no problems yet as I have been PMing them. I have seen 2 sets here locally where I live running in the chrome versions on upper end trucks. I started to do the retro fit by buying a second set of lights but I guess i could do my stock halogen ones while running the spyders and when or if they take a dump I can install my oem retrofits and still use my conversion setup so that investment is never wasted.

Last edited by Koolponycar; 01-22-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by 03f15012
I honestly prefer the design of the factory HID housings.
As do I, just making note as to Recon quality with tails. I have both, OEM hid's and Recon tails.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the Recon HID option. Plug and play and very straight forward. I have to aim them correctly tonight. They are awesome. They are a little spendy but look amazing and the DRLs look awesome. I also got the smoked tail lights and third brake light. I put these in on my 2014 f150 Lariat with OEM HIDs.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OEM HID Replacement Headlights