Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

need some help... looking to upgrade head and tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help... looking to upgrade head and tail lights

Hey I just recently purchased a 2016 F150 XLT super crew and I am interested in upgrading the head and tail lights to LED. I read a couple of posts about not using the Anzo and some others.
Can anyone make any suggestions on what to use?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

You have a few options... I feel like a record sometimes but hey you are new here.

#1) Most expensive but this is the OEM LED Headlight Option. Raptor Retrofit. Dawson runs this place and he basically puts out a "kit" that allows you to install the factory OEM LED Headlights from Ford (you can't just buy these at Ford as there are special wire harnesses/etc...). Allows you to take out your halogen housing, install the OEM LED lights from Ford

Cost: $1,650 for the pair

#2) Install an LED Conversion Kit. It used to be frowned upon because conversion kits never worked properly in halogen housings and scattered light. Up until recently. We put out a really really popular LED Conversion Kit that works great in the halogen housings. The bulbs are the latest design and cut back on light scatter and mimic the cut-off you get with traditional halogen bulbs. We also went one step further and (because I own a 2015 myself) put out a "kit" that allows you to install the LED Conversion Kits in your "weird" Ford F-150 housing (I say weird because Ford went with a completely ENCLOSED housing WITHIN a housing design)... so our "Ballast Relocation Kit" allows you to mount the LED ballasts OUTSIDE the headlight cavity (on most trucks the back of the bulb would just be exposed to the engine bay making installation easy)

Cost: $290 for both high beam and low beam

3) You can replace the halogen housings with an aftermarket brand. Anzo seems to be the most popular right now and they make a very nice Projection style housing. Projection highs AND lows. They do come with halogen bulbs but almost everybody I talk to who is replacing their factory headlights with Anzo, puts in an LED conversion Kit. See #2 above (we put out a kit for the anzos as well). So now you get a really cool looking headlight housing AND you can upgrade to LED lights.

Cost: Varies (they make a switchback version) but figure $780 - $830 if you put in anzos + LED or $500 - $550 for just the Anzos

#2 is the cheapest because you are using what you have and just upgrading the lighting

#1 is the most expensive but it's what Ford puts out

#3 is in the middle of course

Now... as for your taillights... Diode Dynamics seems to be the most popular LED brand here... and it's a brand we re-sell for that reason. They have every kind of bulb you'd need. Our site actually has a section for the Fords (because, as I said, I own a 2015 F-150) so it makes it easy. Just pick what you are looking to do and you can see your options.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are not gonna go the OEM led route. Make sure you decide on the housing you want use the stock or aftermarket housing because they are different bulb sockets. So you can't buy a kit for the stock housing and then just switch to the aftermarket down the line you would have to buy a new kit.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

What 2016f150fx4 said. A lot of my customers buy the H11/9005 and then a month later buy the Anzos, which use a different bulb. Sooo figure out which way you want to go first.

I've had the halogen housing since January... don't think I'll go to the Anzos myself (the price is not worth it to me)