Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

myHIDS.com review from an end user

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default myHIDS.com review from an end user

First off I do not work for myHIDS.com nor do I get any kick back however seeing as there aren't many reviews from an end user and their experience regarding HID's I figured I would post.

Ordering: I placed my order with myHIDS.com on a Sunday and recieved my kit the following Monday. Package was shipped UPS and took 8 days.

Kit Details: The kit I ordered included [1] Main wiring harness, [2] Slim digitial ballast, 2 H13 Hi/Lo slim 8000k HID's, [4] zip ties, [2] double sided sticky pads, instruction manually and 2 stickers (not sure why they were included). I'd also like to point out that they provide a lifetime warrenty on "ALL" parts which is nice.

Packaging: All components came individual packaged in white boxes within the shipping box and was protected by packaging peanuts. Many of us see other HID kits in fancy boxes which might explain the price difference.

Construction: Each item seemed very sturdy and constructed. Each lead and connector was prepped very well and all wires were protected with loom. The only issue I see is the wire length from the main controller wiring harness. I assumed you would plug each factory bulb connector into the wiring harness or one of the ballast but you only use one factory feed which essentially works both lights. The issue I found was the main feed off the wiring harness, IF not properly installed, may be to short. A suggestion and this is with any install is to lay out everything and when using zip ties do not zip tightly as shown in my main wire run from the left side to the right:

Install: Instructional diagrams in the booklet that came with the kit seemed to be a little confusing for someone who had no idea about HID's and how they were installed BUT after you sit back, the install is basically common sense. I'm not sure if my end result of installing is the perfered method (referring to mounting) but it was the best possible way due to the length of wires however I don't see any issues why it wouldn't be OK. Each ballast was given plenty of room to breath and were secured to apart of the chassis with self tapping screws.

Suggestions: The kit and most other kits come with a few zip ties, always have extra on hand. The kit also included double sided tape for the ballast but I sway away from using such methods. It would suck if you spent all this money and that tape didn't hold if you know what I mean.

Overall I'm pretty happy and would order from them again but as with anything time will tell how truly happy I am so I'll update this thread in the weeks to come if I run into any issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 AM
2020 Sport

Pictures of install locations:

Left side ballast and wiring harness behind the headlight

Right side ballast behind the headlight

The right feed coming from the wiring harness from the left

2 pictures of stock headlights at different angles

2 pictures of HID's at same angles as above

Side view

Normal HID's

With Brights on
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good. are you happy with the results?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Good write up man.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up. Hope to see more like this. Or if people have bad experience to see those posts as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM
2020 Sport

The glare in the photo is from my truck being elevated higher than the sidewalk I was standing on so the picture is a direct shot and it was raining so that added a crappier photo. Overall I'm happy and the install was a breeze once common sense set in but time will tell regarding quality so if anything pops up I'll be sure to post.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

What did you pay?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 AM
2020 Sport

Originally Posted by jhelrey
what did you pay?

$150
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got a real bright HI beam that you can see down the road with? I had a set of BI's that did'nt change much high or low.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

good deal, i like the slim ones alot, juding on how they hold up i may pick some up for the bike

Quick Reply: myHIDS.com review from an end user