Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Lighting
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

My LED Light Bar behind the grill install 2011 F150 Lariat Screw 5.0L

Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My LED Light Bar behind the grill install 2011 F150 Lariat Screw 5.0L

Bought a 21" LED light bar off Ebay recently and after seeing all the posts here thought I would show my install here. I was originally going to install in the center where my licence plate is mounted but figured I might need a stone guard for it in that spot. Wasn't sure if the behind the grill install would block too much light but after mounting it there I find it doesn't block too much light there at all and I'm happy I installed it there. The grill also helps as a stone guard and being higher off the ground should throw better light coverage on hilly roads and fields with taller grass.

My truck is a 2011 F150 Lariat Screw 5.0L V8 with 5.5 ft box. I bought angle iron for brackets with holes already in it to make it easy to not need drilling.

Longest piece was 45" and 2 other pieces were 8" each. To mount the longest bar I used the existing bolt which mounts the grill bumpers. Perfect spacing!
The 2 short pieces bolt to the long one but I wasn't sure how to brace it then came to realise I could slide the forward end under the white rubber bumper and it would be fully supported. Just slid an inch or two under the white rubber nose piece.
Mounted the light bar to the 2 short pieces and then lowered the hood to check the clearance. When I was happy with the clearance I took it all apart and spray painted the brackets with black gloss rust paint. After it was dry and I reinstalled it was a simple matter to run the wiring harness that came with the the light. Harness included a fuse and holder, relay & terminals to hook to the battery. The length of wire fit comfortably but I couldn't get too fancy with where I ran it in order to hide it better or I would have had to add a length of wire to it. I did enclose it in split loom to protect it a bit better.
Pretty happy with the way it turned out but it is so BRIGHT that I almost feel I need to do something to make my headlights brighter!
(Lights are so bright that when I tried them while driving down our street in the middle of the night with my wife she gave me s%#^ telling me I was going to wake up the neighbours....lol)

Light bar mounted behind grill.

Last edited by Bob McNally; 04-08-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Bob McNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Official Bass Slapper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Looks good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeriko For This Useful Post:
Bob McNally (04-14-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

Nice install. How much was the bar? If you don't mind be asking?
EWeezY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWeezY View Post
Nice install. How much was the bar? If you don't mind be asking?
Thanks
I don't mind. Bought it on Ebay...shipped from China. Approx $60 and $40 for shipping. Cost me $105 and then a few weeks later got dinged $16 duty...
(This is in Canadian $$$) Apparently its shipped by Fed Ex so I had it in less than a week. Other items I've bought from China took a month to receive.
Comes with harness as well and looks I would think very similar if not the same as what I've seen on F150LED.com for more money.

I think its this one...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231306592783?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope to take some video or pictures when I get a chance looking forward from the vehicle to show how much it lights up in front of you. (Not sure when though)

Light works great and is very bright. Suits my purpose at least for the hunt camp and cottage roads.

Last edited by Bob McNally; Yesterday at 06:57 PM.
Bob McNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNally View Post
Thanks
I don't mind. Bought it on Ebay...shipped from China. Approx $60 and $40 for shipping. Cost me $105 and then a few weeks later got dinged $16 duty...
(This is in Canadian $$$) Apparently its shipped by Fed Ex so I had it in less than a week. Other items I've bought from China took a month to receive.
Comes with harness as well and looks I would think very similar if not the same as what I've seen on F150LED.com for more money.

I think its this one...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231306592783?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope to take some video or pictures when I get a chance looking forward from the vehicle to show how much it lights up in front of you. (Not sure when though)

Light works great and is very bright. Suits my purpose at least for the hunt camp and cottage roads.
Nice, ThanKs. I have the Eco. So just trying to figure mounting. I have the intercooler to work around. Might do the 30' to get over the cooler, same frame work would work though.
EWeezY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:25 AM   #6
Timber Baron

Look on amazon for lights in the future. I just bought two 32" bars to go behind my grille for $60 apiece, free shipping, and they were to me in a week.
Toshbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:25 AM