Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LEDs and smoked Lens Headlights

Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LEDs and smoked Lens Headlights

All,
After 4 years I have yanked my Spyder CCFL Halo's (which I converted to HID, low beams only) and put OEM's back in, due to some problems I was having with Spyders, plus I was starting to think they looked to much like Chinese junk (and they performed that way too, until I converted to HID). Anyhoo, I am quickly reminded how poor the OEM lighting is, plus I miss the smoked look. So instead of the more complicated HID conversions, I was gonna go with LEDs. However, first I need a new set of smoked lenses. Does anybody have any recommendations one way or another on smoked lenses? Ebay has some relatively cheap ones ($109 available, shown below).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131717459098?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2014-Ford-F150-Pickup-Black-Smoked-Headlights-Replacement-Lamps-Left-Right-/201507400532?fromMakeTrack=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131819081968?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Appreciate your help!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 AM
Lost in Time

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

I know they're more money, but have you looked at the Anzo brand?
The following users liked this post:
Closetredneck (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 889 Likes on 582 Posts

Try driving around at night with sunglasses on because thats what its going to be like... stupid.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
I know they're more money, but have you looked at the Anzo brand?
Ya I've looked at Anzo. Looks like decent quality, but after having the Sypders I'm kind of over the Halo rings and I don't want separate low beam and high beam bulbs. I just want solid smoked look with higher quality lighting (LEDS or HIDS) than OEM. I'll admit though that the new LED cyclop optic is interesting. Can't decide if I love or hate it. But I think I'm gonna stick with the factory look but wit smoked lense, and then add LEDs.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Try driving around at night with sunglasses on because thats what its going to be like... stupid.

Totally agree its stupid if you keep the halogen lighting. That's why I had to convert to HID on the smoked Spyders, which made a huge difference. I'm over the Sypder Halo look though, so I yanked them. I still want smoked though, but agree they will make lighting even worse with factory halogens (or even aftermarket halogens). Gotta go LED.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 3,010 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Why not just blackout the chrome inside the housings? That's how the oem black headlights are. They're not smoked.

No matter what youre switching to, you should keep the lense clear. In my mind, headlights really shouldn't be fashion over function unless you 100% never drive at night.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Why not just blackout the chrome inside the housings? That's how the oem black headlights are. They're not smoked.

No matter what youre switching to, you should keep the lense clear. In my mind, headlights really shouldn't be fashion over function unless you 100% never drive at night.

I've thought about that, but I don't want to blacken out the OEMs myself for 3 reasons: 1) No time, 2) I'll probably not do it right, and 3) I like to keep in original condition all the OEM products I've switched out in the event I want to sell the truck and a buyer doesn't like all my mods. [I've kept the original stereo and wheels too, for instance...don't want to sell them.]

As far as fashion over function, I 100% agree. I was FURIOUS when I bought and installed the Spyder Halos for $300+ 4 years ago and saw how **** poor the lighting was. I had asked them before purchasing if the lighting would be improved (not the same, but improved) and they told me yes. False advertising. But I liked the look so kept them and spent another $300 converting to HID and having them professionally installed (again, see above, no time and I'd probably muck it up if I tried myself). So I want to learn from my mistakes. I DO NOT want fashion over form. But I do like fashion! I do like a good looking truck. I'm trying to find the best solution for better lighting, better looking lighting, and I don't want to spend another $300+ dollars.

I'm thinking if I purchase smoked OEM headlights for $100, and then convert to LED ($120-$150) I'll have what I want. [I think I can handle that conversion...much simpler, I think, than the HID on the Spyders.]
Old 01-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Closetredneck
I've thought about that, but I don't want to blacken out the OEMs myself for 3 reasons: 1) No time, 2) I'll probably not do it right, and 3) I like to keep in original condition all the OEM products I've switched out in the event I want to sell the truck and a buyer doesn't like all my mods. [I've kept the original stereo and wheels too, for instance...don't want to sell them.]

As far as fashion over function, I 100% agree. I was FURIOUS when I bought and installed the Spyder Halos for $300+ 4 years ago and saw how **** poor the lighting was. I had asked them before purchasing if the lighting would be improved (not the same, but improved) and they told me yes. False advertising. But I liked the look so kept them and spent another $300 converting to HID and having them professionally installed (again, see above, no time and I'd probably muck it up if I tried myself). So I want to learn from my mistakes. I DO NOT want fashion over form. But I do like fashion! I do like a good looking truck. I'm trying to find the best solution for better lighting, better looking lighting, and I don't want to spend another $300+ dollars.

I'm thinking if I purchase smoked OEM headlights for $100, and then convert to LED ($120-$150) I'll have what I want. [I think I can handle that conversion...much simpler, I think, than the HID on the Spyders.]
I'd say give it a try and let us know how it turns out! Worst case, you lose a little output, don't like it and go back to the clear lense.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree looks are important and having a truck that stands out is a great thing! I just personally want my lights to be as bright as can be (while not blinding oncoming traffic, that is).

I guess I'm just not in your shoes though. I have some suble chrome accents, so my lheadligjts being chrome works for my truck.

What are you going to use for LEDs?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Ah yes, that was the other reason I didn't want to modify my OEMs, in case I have to yank out the smoked ones and put something back in that I can rely on. So like you said, I'll try the LEDs in the smoked OEM versions, and if the function is no good, I should be able to pull the LEDs out of the smoked and put them right into the clear OEMs.

I was going to go with either F150LEDS.com (Mark III) or 4x4truckleds.com (XHP50). Both seem like great companies, good customer service. XHP50's are $50 cheaper at $135 though. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
I'd say give it a try and let us know how it turns out! Worst case, you lose a little output, don't like it and go back to the clear lense.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree looks are important and having a truck that stands out is a great thing! I just personally want my lights to be as bright as can be (while not blinding incoming traffic, that is).

I guess I'm just not in your shoes though. I have some suble chrome accents, so my lheadligjts being chrome works for my truck.

What are you going to use for LEDs?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Closetredneck
Ah yes, that was the other reason I didn't want to modify my OEMs, in case I have to yank out the smoked ones and put something back in that I can rely on. So like you said, I'll try the LEDs in the smoked OEM versions, and if the function is no good, I should be able to pull the LEDs out of the smoked and put them right into the clear OEMs.

I was going to go with either F150LEDS.com (Mark III) or 4x4truckleds.com (XHP50). Both seem like great companies, good customer service. XHP50's are $50 cheaper at $135 though. Thoughts?
I've read a lot of bad things about F150leds lights. I have not tried them, though.

I've been using 4x4truckleds H13's since march and I like them. Adam is very helpful and his customer service is top notch.

Search this Thread