Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Tailgate Light and Line X

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default LED Tailgate Light and Line X

I am looking to buy a 60" LED tailgate strip and have seem most are attached via double sided tape. My bed has been Line X'ed and it comes down over the lip of the bed where the LED strip would attach and Im about 99% certain that it would not stick to the Line X. Has anyone found a way to adhere their strip to the bed without having to drill? If you did drill, how'd you go about it? Thanks for any help!

Oh... and Im looking at the strip from Custom Dynamics
Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

2 part industrial epoxy will work. But unless you've used it before it can be kind of a pain in the ***. The 3M tape might work just fine. It will stick to a lot of stuff without problems. Not sure how permanent you are looking for. In case something happens to the strip and you need to replace it, drilling small holes and zip tieing it might be your best bet.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
2 part industrial epoxy will work. But unless you've used it before it can be kind of a pain in the ***. The 3M tape might work just fine. It will stick to a lot of stuff without problems. Not sure how permanent you are looking for. In case something happens to the strip and you need to replace it, drilling small holes and zip tieing it might be your best bet.
I worry that applying with an epoxy will result in an uneven surface for the lights which would look pretty undesirable in the end.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I have the 60" from custom dynamics, it does not bend, it is one solid strip and the surface area where it mounts is uneven so it does not sit flush along it's length, however I did not line x my bed so it's stuck to the oem painted surface and has been for over a year. Best bet in your case is sand down the line x and get back to the oem finish.

Last edited by RLXXI; 12-20-2014 at 11:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Laxman09 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Laxman09

I worry that applying with an epoxy will result in an uneven surface for the lights which would look pretty undesirable in the end.
Like I said though, if anything happens to the lights you would probably regret using the epoxy. Could possibly pull the liner off. If you did decide to use it though, the epoxy is liquid. You can adjust the lights before it would harden depending on what level of epoxy you used. 3M had several products to look at. RNLComp has a great idea as well. There's tons of ways to do this mod, it's just which one will work best for your needs/wants.
The following users liked this post:
Laxman09 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 AM

I like the idea of sanding down the Line X a bit to smooth it out and see if I can get the 3M to stick to it. Thanks for the ideas!

Quick Reply: LED Tailgate Light and Line X