Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED strips made into under hood light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Default LED strips made into under hood light

Wanted to make a light to shine over the engine, so started with a strip of angle aluminum, polished it to get a nice reflective surface.

Added red led strips to front side and white led to the bottom, the lip on the angle aluminum keeps the white lights from glaring into you eyes.

A long strip of lighting looks good but also helps when you are over the engine as your body can not block all the light like it tends to with a single light

More pictures to come as I mount it and hook up an Infrared switch to turn on and off with opening the hood.

The following users liked this post:
Oshkosh Joe (11-15-2021)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM

A strip of 3M two sided tape was used to stick the light bar up there, just need to finish running wires and get some photos at night

some before light pictures with shop lights on...

taken during day with hood light on and shop lights are out now

Last edited by byte; 01-28-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Aluminum strip makes it easy to secure the wires as they can pull off the strips easily. Normally I would use a plastic zip tie to hold the ends but the wire was thinner for clearance behind. Also the strip makes it easy to remove the light for repair or change around. No holes drilled in the whole install.

MAH (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you wire it right to the battery? Did you install a switch? Can you throw up a pic of where exactly you stuck the angle to? I am about to do something very similiar, I just ran bedlights using the same style of light strip and they turned out awesome.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by canadianguy
Did you wire it right to the battery? Did you install a switch? Can you throw up a pic of where exactly you stuck the angle to? I am about to do something very similiar, I just ran bedlights using the same style of light strip and they turned out awesome.
Thanks
I am trying to set up an infrared proximity switch on the hood. It looks so simple but having issues with it so might be going to scrap yard to find a hood switch rather than tieing into the factory one.

There are two lips on the underside of the hood about 1 inch wide. they give a nice downward angle when the hood is open... I used the back one but I noticed that if I had used the front one.. the red led would have light up the grill a bit

http://www.oznium.com/ir-sensor-switch
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by canadianguy
for testing the light placement out, just use a couple little pieces of the two sided tape to hold it up there

I used the ridge just in front of the cloth hood part...

IR switch is being pain in @** to set

Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool idea, that looks great.
byte (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by byte
for testing the light placement out, just use a couple little pieces of the two sided tape to hold it up there

I used the ridge just in front of the cloth hood part...

IR switch is being pain in @** to set

Can u snap a pic on where u stick the bar to under the hood? I am confused on how u got 2 to stick at 1 spot.
Thanks. Appreciate it
Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM

read up a bit on IR switches and they need a surface to reflect back the beam. Used a plastic piece of edging for house siding wrapped with tape to make it thicker on the part the slides into the fender. I also had to waterproof the IR switch with silicon before installing it.

circled the IR switch above and the plastic reflector below

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by swak6287
Can u snap a pic on where u stick the bar to under the hood? I am confused on how u got 2 to stick at 1 spot.
Thanks. Appreciate it
This is better without the lights on... remember its an angle iron so shaped in L shape...

Quick Reply: LED strips made into under hood light