Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Lighting
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Led light bar help

Guys im looking to install a LED light bar somewhere in the front of my truck. Are ppl mounting them in the grille or where the front bumper is? WHat are you using name brand wise? ANy pics would help me decide. Im looking to increase my lightning at low beams
13TuxEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #2

So you plan to run the bar all of the time? That'd be very distracting/blinding to oncoming traffic.

2011 SCrew XLT
benchwarmer4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203 View Post
So you plan to run the bar all of the time? That'd be very distracting/blinding to oncoming traffic.
no only at light and it will be aimed down so it will flood in front of the truck not the oncoming traffice.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

[QUOTE=13TuxEco;3597416]no only at light and it will be aimed down so it will flood in front of the truck not the oncoming traffice.
[/QUOTe

Do a search for light bar. There are plenty of pics around here and on BING that display them in all type of setups. Best way to compare as to what you want..
Red13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red13 For This Useful Post:
13TuxEco (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

If you aim it far enough down that the glare doesn't bother oncoming traffic you aren't gaining much useable light. Also, I don't believe most of the bars on the market are actually approved for on-road use in the first place. If you want to use it to supplement your lighting and treat it just like you would your high beams, more power to you. If you plan on running it anytime your low beams are on, regardless of oncoming traffic, I don't care much for your plan.

2011 SCrew XLT
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

A 20" bar can go in the middle (between the "bread basket" black plastic bumper cutouts) with a little help on each side. This is only for non-EcoBoost models though.

I decided to go with one Dually D2 on each side of my centered license plate on my 5.0. Near the same amount of light as most 20" bars, less expensive too.

Note of caution: these should not be used on road, unless you are out in the sticks and are very sure you can see someone else coming along in time to turn it off. They will blind people and that can end up very bad very quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to terraformer For This Useful Post:
13TuxEco (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
A 20" bar can go in the middle (between the "bread basket" black plastic bumper cutouts) with a little help on each side. This is only for non-EcoBoost models though.

I decided to go with one Dually D2 on each side of my centered license plate on my 5.0. Near the same amount of light as most 20" bars, less expensive too.

Note of caution: these should not be used on road, unless you are out in the sticks and are very sure you can see someone else coming along in time to turn it off. They will blind people and that can end up very bad very quickly.
i have a ecoboost and I do live in the sticks. Id only operate them when there is not oncoming traffic, there nothing that pisses me off more for someone to leave on there brights!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

Well, that's good news. Here's another thread that might interest you. Someone already mentioned the bumper opening, so this one is about mounting a 30" behind the grill.

http://www.f150forum.com/f83/30-behi...mounts-243278/

2011 SCrew XLT
Old 08-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203 View Post
Don't know what state your from but in Ca .... any offroad lighting not oem is suppose to be covered untill offroad ... I guarantee the 2 x 12" lightbars I just got would blind any on coming traffic 12k lumn together was thinking bout putting one in back for the stupid ones that tailgate so close you cant see them .... I'd love to blind those idiots permently .... they really **** me off .... its the norm in this state full of stupid people .. I do my part to educate them unfortunately I can only help a few every day when there are millions that need it ... in Ca that is ..... you guys that live in other states where people still have morals and values are so lucky ... don't expect to see it out here .... 1 in 10 is the ratio good to bad
GotHonks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

that would be a 20. I wouldn't recommend putting one there with an ecoboost, as youll block your intercooler.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM