Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED Issue

So I snagged some LED lights today at a local shop. They are the DURASERIES lights, and they don't fit. They have no fan, but use "cooling fins" instead and the OEM rubber grommet doesn't cover them after install.

It seems like there isn't quite a great alternative out there just yet, so Im heading back with them for a refund tomorrow...unless someone here knows of another set that has a good/clean install...and a light that works well.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know of any LED lights that use a cooling fan. I am assuming this is a light bar you are talking about?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

You didn't specify if these were replacement bulbs (like for your taillights) or headlights. Because you said cooling fins, I'm assuming for your headlights? And because you said your grommet does not fit I'm going to assume you have a 2015/2016.

So the problem with the 2015/2016 is that a lot of aftermarket bulbs, just don't fit, We have a grommet that covers the bulb, because it's inside the housing. It's like a housing, within a housing.

A LOT of the LED bulbs out there, are too long to fit.

The solution to your problem is to get new gromets. The 2015/2016 use a 90mm grommet. That's how/why I started my company, 4x4TruckLEDs.com because I have a 2015 and tried putting in LED bulbs in my headlights and they either didn't fit or the kits I bought let water in and I needed/wanted a better solution .Theres actually a thread burried on here SOMEWHERE of my entire ordeal with super-gluing things together and lots of trial/error.

I'll send you a PM with some solutions but please verify you have the 2015/2016 for us here so we're all on the same page.

tx_fx2 some of the LED bulbs, the inexpensive ones, just use a cooling fin. Some have a built in fan but the ones with fans usually have a driver/ballast as well.
The following users liked this post:
lumpythetexan (12-11-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was planning on installing the Anzo headlights and putting in LED bulbs (with fans)... But this makes me think maybe I should just buy the RaportRetrofit ones... I'm not trying to rig something up if it's not going to work well.

Quick Reply: LED Issue