Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Headlights

Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LED Headlights

I know we have some vendors with nice products here, but has anyone tried these:

http://www.vleds.com/h13-9008-lmz.html

The thing I like about these is they offer them in 5000k color.

All the other options from 4x4truckleds and f150leds are 6000k or 6500k, and I'm looking for the pure white 5000k color temp. And I've had great success with vled's reverse and cargo light bulbs (very bright!).

However, these are rated at 4500 "real world" lumens. The LED's from 4x4truckleds and f150leds are like 6000 lumens, so seems these might not be as bright, but will still be brighter than stock.

I wonder if these would fit our trucks alright (I have a 2006). That heatsink looks to measure about 2" in diameter, and will protrude up to 2.25" from the inside edge of the back of the reflector housing

The LED's from 4x4truckleds look to protrude 1.75" out the back of the headlight, from what I can tell, and we know those fit. I'm just not sure if there's an extra 1/2" back there to work with or not.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 09-12-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rkneeshaw
I know we have some vendors with nice products here, but has anyone tried these:

http://www.vleds.com/h13-9008-lmz.html

The thing I like about these is they offer them in 5000k color.

All the other options from 4x4truckleds and f150leds are 6000k or 6500k, and I'm looking for the pure white 5000k color temp. And I've had great success with vled's reverse and cargo light bulbs (very bright!).
The reason you see more along the 6000k and 6500k is it's very easy to make those color temperatures. Making a 5000k color temp LED takes a finer touch with phosphorous and requires a little more labor. Quick and easy vs quick and a little harder and you're going to get a market flooded with quick and easy.

However, these are rated at 4500 "real world" lumens. The LED's from 4x4truckleds and f150leds are like 6000 lumens, so seems these might not be as bright, but will still be brighter than stock.
Are you certain they're real world lumens as measured in a sphere or are they measured at the die like almost everyone else does nowadays? I mean, if they're honest to god pushing them to 4500 for both sets of dies on both bulbs combined, then good on them. But without knowing the bin code, it's hard to tell (http://www.lumileds.com/uploads/447/DS136-pdf)

I wonder if these would fit our trucks alright (I have a 2006). That heatsink looks to measure about 2" in diameter, and will protrude up to 2.25" from the inside edge of the back of the reflector housing

The LED's from 4x4truckleds look to protrude 1.75" out the back of the headlight, from what I can tell, and we know those fit. I'm just not sure if there's an extra 1/2" back there to work with or not.
I'm pretty sure they would fit. I have wiggle room in mine after using the same ones that that vendor provides (though not from that vendor)
Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

6500 in LED IS pure white... the temperatures between HID and LED are different. 6500 in HID might be more blue but in LED it's pure white.

I would not recommend this style light for your headlights. I sell this style bulb you posted but for fog lights only, due to the light scatter (it's minimal with fog housings, smaller housing).

If you want pure white, stick with 6000 or 6500 in LED.

Also those lights that indicate 2500 low, 4500 high are measured just like the rest of us... raw lumen based on wattage. Typically calculated at 100 lumen per wattage. Sooo it's 25w on low, 45w on high. Whereas our bulbs are 36w which is 3600 lumen per side, thus 6000 lumen we advertise at.

In a real lumen calcuation you'd see significanlty lower rates HOWEVER if we all did that, we'd be showing LESS lumen and of course marketing is marketing. A kit that says "6000 lumen" gets more attention then if it was actually say "5215" or what not.

Look at Diode Dynamics, they show REAL lumen which are FAR lower then competitors will advertise. It's why they spend a lot of time educating people.

For us however, our LED's will always be marketed at "6000 lumen" because of what people are searching the internet for.

Hope that helps you make a decision. Good luck with whatever set you go with. For $10 more maybe give us a try? We'd appreciate your business. I know you have concerns over them fitting. I believe summers22 has a similar year as you and was able to fit them.

Last edited by 230748; 09-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
6500 in LED IS pure white... the temperatures between HID and LED are different. 6500 in HID might be more blue but in LED it's pure white..
wut

The Kelvin Temperature scale is not on a per-lighting-technology basis.

Somewhere between 4000K and 5000K is pure white, ~5300K is daylight, anything above 6000K is cool white with hints of blue in the spectrum. Doesn't matter if it's an HID or an LED.

The only thing is that HIDs have a temperature shift over time because of filament burn.
The following 2 users liked this post by elricfate:
RES4CUE (09-16-2016), Rockjock3 (09-14-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

The 6500k Bulbs I sell are a PURE white light. There is no hint of blue that I see... Here is a chart for reference with LED (I know what you are referring to however with HID's at 6500k you got a bluer light, that's why you can't match a 6500k HID bulb up against a 6500k LED bulb, they will appear different in color). With these LED lights there is no hint of blue (perhaps they are not really 6500k as the manufacturer states, I can inquire about that, because anybody who has installed them can vouch that they are a pure white light)

Old 09-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
The 6500k Bulbs I sell are a PURE white light. There is no hint of blue that I see... Here is a chart for reference with LED (I know what you are referring to however with HID's at 6500k you got a bluer light, that's why you can't match a 6500k HID bulb up against a 6500k LED bulb, they will appear different in color). With these LED lights there is no hint of blue (perhaps they are not really 6500k as the manufacturer states, I can inquire about that, because anybody who has installed them can vouch that they are a pure white light)

So in the interest of time, I'm typing this out once and won't continue to argue on this thread, but trust me when I say that you might be a vendor, and that's cool, but you're giving people misinformation and passing it off as fact, and that's not cool.

First off, the chart you are settled on using is created by SeeSmart's Marketing Dept., which in itself is fine, but take a look at their demarcations for color temperature.

They note that 4800k is "Direct Sunlight" and that their "Day White SeeSmart LED" is listed as 5500-6000K. Now normally I hate quoting Wikipedia, but I'm going to one and done this post and simply regurgitate something from it.

Daylight has a spectrum similar to that of a black body with a correlated color temperature of 6,500 K (D65 viewing standard) or 5,500 K (daylight-balanced photographic film standard).
Take note the daylight-balanced portion, that's because that's how your eye views the world. Yes the color temperature of daylight is 6500K, but your eyes see 5500K because of everything the light is bouncing off of on the planet. The 6500K is how sunlight appears in space. The 6500K temperature of an LED or any other bulb is going to appear so close to white that you would need to be a graphic designer to notice the difference if you set your camera to neutral (5500K) and take the pictures. As noted in my build thread, depending on where you're viewing the LED from (the angle of the die) it can appear to have a blueish tint.

Since LEDs have specific angles at which they're meant to be viewed, the color spectrum tends to bend and appear to add other muddy colors, either green (in the case of warm white LEDs) or blue (in the case of "Pure White" LEDs) if you're not looking at them within the angle specified at the die.

6500K does, in fact, skew toward the blue spectrum, but your human eye will likely not notice it if you're looking at it just right. However it is not "Pure White".

Now to the part where you're wrong about HIDs.

HIDs and LEDs, Halogen and Xenon gas filled, none of that matters. If someone did the color temperature measurement properly, then it will be accurate across all mediums. The problem is there's a lot of bias in color temperature ratings based on which company did the measurements, which is why you're having a hard time matching some HIDs to LEDs.

Also there's something that HIDs do over time, it's called colorshifting and basically the cathode within the bulb melts away with usage and that's when they inch up the color spectrum.

So if you have HIDs that are properly temperature matched at 6500K at the beginning of their life, and then add in properly temperature matched 6500K LEDs, they will be the exact same color temperature... for a little while. Then as time goes on the HID bulb will colorshift higher along the spectrum until it finally stops firing at all.

That's all I really think I need to say about it. But please, if you need someone to help you fact check, I'm available.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (09-16-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Banned

Our LED's are only 6500k... which look like a pure white... not much I can do about that. You can buy a pair to see for yourself, or ask others on here how they look. I mean... I don't have 5000k LED's. Sorry, can't help you there. You can use the LED's you posted up top but they are not recommended for use in headlights by those of us in the business. If I had a 5000k or similar kit to sell you, I would, but I won't sell a lesser quality product JUST to meet the 5000k you need.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just took some measurements and there is barely enough room behind the stock connector. From the mounting surface of the back of the headlight I measure about 1.75" of clearance.

So that rules out the vled's if that diagram on their website is accurate.

Interesting debate on the color temperature.

I like the 5000k color because it is a pure white, as opposed to having a hint of blue.

I like the hint of blue color for high end vehicles.

That's my personal opinion.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I just took some measurements and there is barely enough room behind the stock connector. From the mounting surface of the back of the headlight I measure about 1.75" of clearance.

So that rules out the vled's if that diagram on their website is accurate.

Interesting debate on the color temperature.

I like the 5000k color because it is a pure white, as opposed to having a hint of blue.

I like the hint of blue color for high end vehicles.

That's my personal opinion.
Check it out.

The pictures you see here are, in order, Low Beam, High Beam, Distance show headlights and turn switchbacks, close up from above, close up straight on. I set the white balance at 5000K when I took the pictures, so you're not seeing an auto-adjusted white balance from the camera.

The headlights are: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BF6EBES/
The Switchback turn signals are: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MC6H0AI/

Now take note, the headlights are the exact same offered by 4x4truckleds. As you can see, the switchback temps are listed at 6000K, the headlight temps are listed at 6500K. You can see the slight bit of blue in the headlights compared to the switchbacks, that's the slightly higher 500K temperature difference.

The switchbacks are closer to "pure white" as viewed by the eyes.

I've since aimed the headlights a little higher so the hotspots aren't as directly forward as they appear in these pics.

But from a distance, they look almost identical and they appear to be pretty white if you're looking at them separate or even together.

I'd say if you get the 6500K style lights, you'll be fine, but it's all personal tastes, ya know?
Attached Thumbnails LED Headlights-20160608_220354.jpg   LED Headlights-20160608_220400.jpg   LED Headlights-20160609_193342.jpg   LED Headlights-20160609_193411.jpg   LED Headlights-20160609_193421.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by elricfate:
rkneeshaw (09-14-2016), Rockjock3 (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

After reading this interesting thread, I looked and played with the LEDs I purchased from 4x4truckleds and with do respect to your science, those are pretty damn white looking to me. Nice clean clear classy bright light. They do very well considering the housing they are in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Headlights