Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Headlights

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have couple of questions.

I need some advice on headlights for my 2001 F150. I've been through the silverstar bulbs from the basic to the expensive, and I've tried a few different HID kits.....but nothing has really worked like I expected them too. I'm trying to decide what to try next and I've been looking at some different LED bulbs. But I don't know the difference between the LED bulbs that plug into the factory connection and the LED bulbs that come in a kit with ballasts. I need some help, I'm hoping someone on here can offer some knowledge on this situation. Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere on here.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMaster26
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have couple of questions.

I need some advice on headlights for my 2001 F150. I've been through the silverstar bulbs from the basic to the expensive, and I've tried a few different HID kits.....but nothing has really worked like I expected them too. I'm trying to decide what to try next and I've been looking at some different LED bulbs. But I don't know the difference between the LED bulbs that plug into the factory connection and the LED bulbs that come in a kit with ballasts. I need some help, I'm hoping someone on here can offer some knowledge on this situation. Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere on here.

Thanks
You should only use ones with ballasts as they provide enough night lighting.

Honestly though, if you have some money to spend, you're better off getting a retrofit. The problem with led/hid lights for our trucks is that we use halogen bulbs with reflector bulbs. The light scatters, and cannot be properly focused. It also blinds oncoming drivers. If you don't plan on retrofits, just keep with halogen bulbs. Philips xtreme vision bulbs are a real nice choice, and they are about $30 per pair. I have them for now, and they are surprisingly good for a halogen bulb.

Retrofits aren't cheap, but it's the best lighting you're going to get, and they look sweet. I'm getting a set shipped in today or tomorrow for my 2003, and I can't wait!

http://www.theretrofitmasters.com/mh...e1415892687822
Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to find some info on the retrofit lights, is it something you can do yourself or does someone have to do it for you?
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMaster26
I was trying to find some info on the retrofit lights, is it something you can do yourself or does someone have to do it for you?
Either/or. You essentially stick the headlights in the oven to soften the seal, then remove the lenses. You can get the stuff you need from TheRetrofitSource.com

I had these done by someone as these used a different, more strong bond (gray silicone) and essentially had to be cut open. If you go with the lightning headlights, then all you have to do is the oven. BrowningSCrew did a guide on how to do it.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights