Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED bar to high beams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED bar to high beams?

Afternoon.
I just bought an LED bar for my truck, and want ot install it myself. I know hot to, but I also want it hook into my high beams.
The way I understand it is that I use a 4 pin relay.
Do I have this correct? (I forgot the numbers on the relay)
Pin #1) High beams plug in here
Pin #2) Battery + plug in
Pin#3) To lights
Pin #4) to ground

Is that correct? if so, does lights neg go directly to battery?
Wheres the best place to find my high beams wire?

(03 f150 XL ext. cab v6)

Thanks guys!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Buy this:
Amazon.com: OPT7® Off Road LED LIGHT Bar On-Off Power Switch 40 Amp Relay Wiring Harness (Dual Light Bar Harness): Automotive Amazon.com: OPT7® Off Road LED LIGHT Bar On-Off Power Switch 40 Amp Relay Wiring Harness (Dual Light Bar Harness): Automotive
and wire it up. It includes waterproof terminals for easy quick disconnecting of the light bar if ever needed. Easiest location to find the high beam wire is right where it goes into the bulb socket. I can't remember what color it is.

I used the above harness(Dual output version) to wire two 32" bars to my high beams. Instead of using the supplied switch, connect the high beam power wire to ONE of the switch wires. The relay will energize then, and light bar comes on at same time as high beams.

Here's my light thread, but it doesn't have much of a wiring explanation: https://www.f150forum.com/f83/dual-3...grille-297757/

Last edited by Toshbar; 06-13-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a suggestion, but there may be times when you don't want the LED bar to come on with the high beams. I have my LED bars wired to come on with the high beams but it's also run through a switch. The switch has to be on and the high beams have to be on in order for the light bar to light up. I just leave the switch in the glove box switched to on. I usually turn the switch off when the truck goes in for service or inspection. The wiring is basically the same except the high beam wire goes through a switch, then on to the relay.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugga
Just a suggestion, but there may be times when you don't want the LED bar to come on with the high beams. I have my LED bars wired to come on with the high beams but it's also run through a switch. The switch has to be on and the high beams have to be on in order for the light bar to light up. I just leave the switch in the glove box switched to on. I usually turn the switch off when the truck goes in for service or inspection. The wiring is basically the same except the high beam wire goes through a switch, then on to the relay.
Same thing can be done with the relay harness I posted above, either using the included switch, or just pulling the fuse from the harness. Pulling the fuse requires opening the hood, but how often would that need to happen?

Quick Reply: LED bar to high beams?