Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Inexpensive Lighting Options…ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Inexpensive Lighting Options…ideas?

I'm searching for a good, inexpensive alternative to my stock headlights in my 2010 FX4. I know retrofits or OEM HID's are the best option but the funds aren't there right now for truck accessories unfortunately. I've combed trough this site and haven't found a thread with much info so I started on. So with that out of the way, what kind of light can anyone shed on the topic (pun intended, haha). I've considered projectors like spyder or recon, read great reviews on how they look but bad reviews on function. I currently run a 20" light bar on back roads or no traffic which helps tremendously but as AT&T says, more is better. Also I do have sylvania silverstar ultra? in my heads. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have 2 bar grille, a 30" led light bar behind It makes a nice improvement.
The following users liked this post:
2010_BlackBison (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grouseridge
If you have 2 bar grille, a 30" led light bar behind It makes a nice improvement.
I have a 3 bar, but good idea. I'll have to look at some mounting options and see how I could get the most light out of it.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010_BlackBison
I'm searching for a good, inexpensive alternative to my stock headlights in my 2010 FX4. I know retrofits or OEM HID's are the best option but the funds aren't there right now for truck accessories unfortunately. I've combed trough this site and haven't found a thread with much info so I started on. So with that out of the way, what kind of light can anyone shed on the topic (pun intended, haha). I've considered projectors like spyder or recon, read great reviews on how they look but bad reviews on function. I currently run a 20" light bar on back roads or no traffic which helps tremendously but as AT&T says, more is better. Also I do have sylvania silverstar ultra? in my heads. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Hi.

You can DIY a retrofit with either Mini-D2S or Mini-H1's for about the same price as a lightbar or a set of crap Spyders. Or any other POS fleabay garbage. So - if ye were willing to purchase those, I do not follow yer fiscal logic.

That said - don't waste any more money on halogen bulbs - nothing you do there will help much. Plenty has been posted w.r.t. this already.

Refer to: https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...partnumber=H13

Notice the uniformly marginal output regardless of which bulb is used. Notice also that, despite price premiums the upper tier-bulbs are no better than the cheapest, AND their life is far shorter.

Do it right the first time - save up the ca-ching and then shop TRS. They have free shipping codes on the HIDP forum.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-23-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spellin'
The following users liked this post:
2010_BlackBison (04-23-2014)

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Lighting Options…ideas?