Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

im sorry but another HID/halogen question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default im sorry but another HID/halogen question

so i know the problems with just putting a plug and play true HID kin in a factory head light housing but i have also seen halogen projectors similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-08-FORD-F...ht_5201wt_1185

it states in the description that its a 9006 bulb so halogen for sure, but the light housing looks a lot like a HID projector. Now my question is can you put a HID set up in a halogen projector housing and achieve the same result as a true HID projector?? or is the halogen projector just for looks?

i searched and couldnt find a answer other than dont put HID's in halogen housings but nothing about halogen projectors.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,834 Posts

you can do that and it will be a lot better than non projector housings...but they arent designed for HIDs so it wouldnt be as good as HID projectors
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM

i really like the look of those lights but want a true HID and dont wanna blind other drivers.....does anyone know the difference between the HID projectors and halogen projectors??
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM

bump
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it has something to do with the focal point of the light. HID light has a different focal point and the HID projectors are made to compensate. I think there might also be a difference in how close the bulb is to the glass on the inside of the projector. If you look on hidplanet.com they have a ton of info. I have seen people put HIDs in headlights like that and they look pretty good but you'll lose that really sharp cut off, and a little light output do to the miss alignment of the focal point, but they still look good. However i wouldn't use a 55 watt HID system I've heard it melts the plastic.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

^ That. Halogen bulbs are about 33% farther from the cut-off plate and lense than HID projectors. Also, most halogen projectors are not sealed all the way around the sides... HID's are. There's also differences in the clarity and manufacturing process for the lenses themselves. Some Halogen projector lenses have some sort of focusing pattern cut into them. I know the Volvo S40's do, so did my wife's Mazda 6.
The following users liked this post:
bulldogge (08-03-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

ah ok so it seems like a better option than just throwing HIDs in a stock headlight assembly but still not quite the full effect of a true HID projector system. I figured there was a difference just not sure what it was. thanks guys for the help and if anyone else has some other info on this it would be great.

Quick Reply: im sorry but another HID/halogen question