Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

I need a run down on how to wire in a retro fit harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I need a run down on how to wire in a retro fit harness

Bought some retro fits, and cant figure out the wiring harness. It takes power from the battery, has a male connector on each end for the ballasts, one ground wire, and then it has a two wire female connector that I'm a bit lost as too how to wire it in. The headlight it self has the two wires coming from it that I were told are for the high beam/low beam function. I have tried wiring the high beam and a ground into the female connector, with the low beam and a ground going to the two small wires, an vise versa. I can only get either high beam or low beams to come on. When ever I flip the high beam switch the lights go out. I have also tried running the high and low beams together to tje female plug, with a ground, and also tried the same thing going to the small wires. That didnt work. Do you run the high beam to one of those small wires and the low beam to the other one? I haven't tried that yet as I'm scared to fry the bulb or something. Does any one have an instructions or any kind of a run down for me as to how to wire these in? They came with zero instructions, I bought them from a member here who does retro fits, but haven't gotten any help there.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody? I see lots of guys buying retro fits, I'm sure somebody knows how these things have to be wired in. Any help would be much appreciated so I can actually use my lights!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reny28
Anybody? I see lots of guys buying retro fits, I'm sure somebody knows how these things have to be wired in. Any help would be much appreciated so I can actually use my lights!
Not sure which harness/retro you have but if it's the TRS harness check out my post on the Bilinvic retro thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/bilinv...0/#post2376887

Make sure you have good ground connections too... I've read that could cause issues with the harness/control box. Best to use a volt meter to check impedance between your ground location and the negative battery wire.

I didn't show the actual connections to the headlight because Bil labels all the connectors for his customers and includes the instructions from TRS.

On the TRS harness the red connector goes to the high beam connection and the yellow connector goes to the ballast.

Try this too: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/install_guides.php

Last edited by Midnight2012; 02-03-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: I need a run down on how to wire in a retro fit harness