Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

How-to: Reverse HID's

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How-to: Reverse HID's

Hey everyone,
Not sure if this has been done before so sorry, its my first how to and I'll try to explain the best I can, it's not that difficult. So here it is:

So here I had 2 h13 bulbs sitting around from my old edge and I wanted to put them to good use, they're substantially shorter than most bulbs so it works well.

Here I tried making the grooves for the 4 to slide in, and turn tight like a regular bulb but since that clearly didn't work, I just ground down the two so i have two tabs sticking out just for guidance. I'm planning to smooth it down and silicone it to the tail light so no modification of the tail light is needed.

Here you can see the clearance and although its somewhat close, I don't think I'll be reversing for hours at a time to make this a problem with melting the tail light, if anyone thinks otherwise let me know.

Here I had an old 194 LED bulb laying around that i wasn't using so I pulled the led out and used the 194/921 bulb holder as a guide so I didn't need to splice the factory harness. I cut the wires to the hid bulb, soldered a set of wires to it, stuck them through the holder and bent them in. I also used heat shrink on the wires so theres no touchy touchy of the wires as you see below.

Now I still need to silicone the bulb to the tail light and mount the ballast. I'm either going to drill holes and mount rivets to the inside of the bed, or use a less damaging approach and just double side tape the ballast to the inside of the truck.

I will update this thread as I do it.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

you don't want a metal ballast to gound out on the bed... double stick tape, with tie wraps is what i would do.. also, they make some jumper connections that you can use instead of trying to make a 194 bulb base work.. you can keep the factory harness and just jump directly off it... this is what i used when i put the LED signal lights in the mirrors...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put double side tape on it
and the connector I made works so oh well
Attached Thumbnails How-to: Reverse HID's-image-1083982074.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should look very nice, I want to see some pics of the end product lit up and possible night shot. That would be awesome.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Did this to my 2011 Lariat and very pleased with the results. Have a set of tail lights with H1 bulbs and ballast in for sale section also.

Last edited by z06; 09-22-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: How-to: Reverse HID's