Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Lighting
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How to access flasher relay 2012 F-150?

Hi there,
I want to change my current stock flasher relay to an electronic one to run LED lights with on my 2012 F-150 XLT. I can hear the general location of it under the dash, even had my head and a flashlight under there for 5 minutes trying to find it, but just couldn't see it. I thought it might be in around the steering column shaft? Could someone please tell me how to access and change it? I can't see Ford designing a system where you have to take apart the dash to change a flasher. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and is the flasher a standard Ford 5 Pin, or is it something else?
Thank you!
Flatcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #2

There is no serviceable flasher. The bulb flash time (80 per minute) is controlled by the BCM. When it detects a bulb out (or a low resistance LED) it flashes 160 times a minute. The sound you hear is created by the cluster to mimic the sound of a conventional flasher. If you search the forum, or someone may chime in, there are resistors you can get to add to the turn signal circuits to slow down the flashing.
2011 FX2 SCrew Sterling Grey 5.0 5Star tuned, Roush CAI w/ factory tube, Turn signal mirrors w/ running lights, Center console lights, Puddle lamps, Bak-flip tonneau, Add-on factory camera, Roush coil covers, Mustang engine cover, Power tailgate lock,
Sound Ordnance B8-PT sub under passenger seat, Infinity Kappas in the doors, Bilinvic Retrofits headlights
cjcnomor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

how about wiring the original OEM bulbs in parallel... you could hide the lights in plastic boxes or just leave them positioned somewhere as a sort of underglow...?

There are relays in the power distribution fuse box... can these relays be replaced with something LED compatible? I realize the relays are just relays and not the flasher, which indeed maybe controlled by the BCM. But a 2012 F150 wiring diagram does show a flasher component.
ecotzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #4

No flasher for the 09 and up f-150's. Yes it's sad I know. I have led switchbacks on my 2010 and I used resistors. You will need to use the 6ohm 50watt resistors. Anything lower than that will not work. But on my truck my bulbs will sometimes hyper flash when I have all my lights on and I hit my brakes. It's weird only does it once in a while not all the time though.
MileHighFX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

at 6 ohms, 13V putting more 2A through that resistor... that's a heck of a lot of heat, 26W. Sucks to have to waste such power. On my led switchbacks, they don't hyperflash, they just flash yellow, but the white doesn't come on. Strange.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
F150 Vendor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotzo View Post
at 6 ohms, 13V putting more 2A through that resistor... that's a heck of a lot of heat, 26W. Sucks to have to waste such power. On my led switchbacks, they don't hyperflash, they just flash yellow, but the white doesn't come on. Strange.
You need 3ohms for bcm to keep from hyper flashing. The heat isn't a big deal that's what resistors are for, your switchbacks sound like they're either flipped backwards or you have the bulb pushed into the socket too far.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Switchbacks work just fine now... with the 6ohm resistor. The only diff the 6ohm made is that the white LED parking light mode is now operational. The yellow turning light mode was operational before and also after, and never hyperflashed before or after the resistor.

BTW the heat should not be an issue until the lights actually flash on... the parking light is the two wires that does NOT have the 6ohm resistor... so the current only flows across the 6hom during flash on... which clearly is not that often in any given hour. Unless perhaps you leave your emergency lights on for a long duration...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM