Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID's w/Tintes Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HID's w/Tintes Lenses

Ok so I figured out that I may have choosen incorrectly going with the 4300k for my headlights. I believe this is the reason my lights dont seem bright. I found the HID "line" in a dark parking garage this morning but over all they seem pretty dim. Based off the tinted lenses I should have gone with a more brighter color IMO. Anyone have any suggestion as to which color would yeld me the brighter lights Im looking for?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Too Loud? Too Bad!

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I had smoked lenses with 6k HIDs and it didn't really matter, because if I didn't have my fogs on and working 95% of the time, I wouldn't feel safe in driving. I had those housings in for all of two or three weeks. If you have the means and you like how it looks, get housings with black on the inside (where the light reflects off of), instead of the lenses being dark.

My $.02.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco_Punisher
Ok so I figured out that I may have choosen incorrectly going with the 4300k for my headlights. I believe this is the reason my lights dont seem bright. I found the HID "line" in a dark parking garage this morning but over all they seem pretty dim. Based off the tinted lenses I should have gone with a more brighter color IMO. Anyone have any suggestion as to which color would yeld me the brighter lights Im looking for?
What houseing do you have??
What exactly did you tint???Did you tint the houseing lenses?
The 4300 bulb is the brightest
I have the 4300SVS and its brighter the the 5000OCBI
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM

http://www.xtralights.com/09-12fordf...itpackage.aspx

Is what I have.. went with the 4300 because I too thought they woukd be bright enough..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

This is a quote from that link
Unlike other sellers making modification to the HID bulbs so that the bulbs would fit inside the headlights, however this false practice makes the bulbs prone to failure and shorter service life. On the contrary, we manufacture and tailor-make our HID bulbs specially designed for the usage of these . Our compact HID bulbs are 30% shorter and narrower than standard ones thus are operated colder to avoid overheating of the plastic aftermarket headlights.
If I'm reading that correctly ,it sounds like your stuck with what you have.They use some compact bulb and the built the houseing around the bulb , so I'm assumeing if you put in a osram or any other normal bulb you would be melting your lense.
If some of the pros hear dont chip in,A good place to find out for sure would be TRS(you can call them) or HID planet
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Hmmm very interesting guess I over looked that..they didn't appear to be shorter. .
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

It's rubbish projectors, not the lens, causing your horrible output.
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM

^^ most likley the case...going to go my own project

Quick Reply: HID's w/Tintes Lenses