Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID Help Requested - At s standstill

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID Help Requested - At s standstill

I am having some problems with an install and hoping you can help. I purchased 2 oem HID headlights for a 2013 F150. I am using the morimoto retrofit source harness for the installation, and not getting these to work. I have all the ballasts, bulbs, etc, and when I hook up the harness per the instructional videos and diagrams, I get zero light output. I have used a test light that is showing me that I have power all the way to the ballast, but cannot determine if I am getting power from the ballast to the pigtail output (the wire to the bulb). The last indication of power using a simple test light shows that I am getting output from the harness to the power output of the light housing. The power that goes to the ballast, and then I cannot determine through the test light if power is being put out to the pigtail. The connectors are too small to check on the test light for power. Could you guide me as to where I may be going wrong? I tried both ballasts on each headlight, as well as switching the lights and ballasts to check for user error. Additionally, I ensured the grounds and power were correct and had good connections. Im at a standstill at this point and would love if you could give your input. Bulbs I believe are both good, but cannot tell for sure. Is it possible that if one bulb is out that neither will work due to the harness? Additionally, the harness connections were pushed out a bit, but I followed the process of putting them back in via pressing against a hard surface per instruction.

Ill add that one bulb is new, one used. The ballasts were purchased from two different vendors. It is possible one of these items does not work, but I have tried multiple combinations including hooking up just a single light with no luck. All I get is a single clicking noise from the harness when I hook it up.

Would love some help.

Last edited by phukena00; 02-18-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2015, 05:10 PM

Alright, This is starting to really suck. Cant figure out what is going on here, whether I have a bad bulb, ballast, harness, or otherwise. Called both dealers near me, and neither is willing to test out the headlights. I understand if they won't mess with anything aftermarket, but this the lights are OEM, and they refuse to help me out. Spent a bunch of money for some paperweights and have spent hours trying to get these to work. Any tips?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by phukena00
Alright, This is starting to really suck. Cant figure out what is going on here, whether I have a bad bulb, ballast, harness, or otherwise. Called both dealers near me, and neither is willing to test out the headlights. I understand if they won't mess with anything aftermarket, but this the lights are OEM, and they refuse to help me out. Spent a bunch of money for some paperweights and have spent hours trying to get these to work. Any tips?
Are the ballast used? Checked grounds? Make sure the harness hook up to the factory harness is making a good connection
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM

Some progress...used my portable power pack to put power and ground direct to the ballasts. Both lights worked just fine and lit up perfectly. From there, I hooked up the harness, using the same power pack for power and ground and got nothing. Assuming it is the harness at this point. Does that sound like it's been narrowed down to the harness or may I have missed something
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Some progress...used my portable power pack to put power and ground direct to the ballasts. Both lights worked just fine and lit up perfectly. From there, I hooked up the harness, using the same power pack for power and ground and got nothing. Assuming it is the harness at this point. Does that sound like it's been narrowed down to the harness or may I have missed something
Yep, sounds like harness.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

There have been some people having problems with pins/connections in the harnesses. Carefully check the seating of each pin in the harness.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 AM
2015 F150 Platinum

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had problems with aftermarket harnesses before as well as just the relays on the harnesses if equipped. Aftermarket HID kits are a beast to troubleshoot.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Update...I still have not gotten these to work correctly. What I have found is that when I plug the harness into the light, they only work when the harness is plugged in about halfway, holding pressure on it in a downward motion. Additionally, they stay on and work properly. Reached out to the vendor, and got a new harness. Still having the same problem. Ensured as well that the harness fits properly and clicks into place (white part pushed in to connector). Added dielectric grease to ensure proper current flow, but still the same issue...only works at halfway on. Even tried moving the pin connectors forward and back in the harness housing. This is the same on both headlights.

This is quite frustrating and if anyone has run into a similar situation, I could use your input please.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Thank you to those of you who responded with your input. After weeks of attempting to get these to work, I finally stumbled upon what seems to be a resolution. Im posting here for those that may run into this problem and dont want to go through the frustrations that I did.

After trying nearly everything to get these to work, I found that by removing the wire in pin 1 of the harness connector to the HID headlight, these work perfectly. The brights, auto lights, etc., all seem to be working fine. When Pin 1 wire is placed back on the light, they turn off. This is the same for both headlights. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I must admit I am happy with having working lights. Maybe someone can chime in and say why this wire may be the cause of the issue.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you to those of you who responded with your input. After weeks of attempting to get these to work, I finally stumbled upon what seems to be a resolution. Im posting here for those that may run into this problem and dont want to go through the frustrations that I did.

After trying nearly everything to get these to work, I found that by removing the wire in pin 1 of the harness connector to the HID headlight, these work perfectly. The brights, auto lights, etc., all seem to be working fine. When Pin 1 wire is placed back on the light, they turn off. This is the same for both headlights. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I must admit I am happy with having working lights. Maybe someone can chime in and say why this wire may be the cause of the issue.

That's really odd.....

Quick Reply: HID Help Requested - At s standstill