Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID Headlight Review.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HID Headlight Recommendation.

Since signing up to this site yesterday [ps: it's wonderful information!] I've noticed a few posters wondering about the HID headlights.

I'm the worlds most un-mechanically inclined person (go easy on me ), but I do have the HID's and thought it would be even a little useful/generous to let people know how I find them.

The Bulbs I'm riding with are:

PIAA Xtreme White Plus
Xtreme Cool Blue White Light
4000K 85/75W

They are High beam/Low beam bulbs, and I've had no trouble and highly recommend them. They're as bright as we can go here in NL with being Legal. Driving on the highway here which is pitch black in the night, I have complete comfort with these bulbs without even having the High Beams on. I get an exceptional amount of more viewing distance with the regular beam alone. A big upgrade and a major noticable difference!

The bulbs cost 107.48 +tax. Depending on the buyers budget it seems steep, But in my honest opinion it's money very well spent.

Hopefully I help a few people out with this!

Last edited by Justinn; 01-24-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had installed some bulbs that were marketed as HID bulbs that worked in the regular headlamp socket. It wasn't long before I realized that I could not see very well. The foglights were brighter than the headlamps. After almost hitting a deer that wasn't there then it was (the deer was not moving, just standing in the road in front of me), I bought a real HID bulb system from Digital. That is the right stuff. I can now see the road, even when it is wet. If you have never had HID, you do not know what you are missing. Think of it this way- it is a lot better to spend a couple hundred dollars than to wreck your truck.

Last edited by ncgator8; 12-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncgator8
I had installed some bulbs that were marketed as HID bulbs that worked in the regular headlamp socket. It wasn't long before I realized that I could not see very well. The foglights wre brighter than the headlamps. After almost hitting a deer that wasn't there then it was (the deer was not moving, just standing in the road in front of me), I bought a real HID bulb system from Digital. That is the right stuff. I can now see the road, even when it is wet. If you have never had HID, you do not know what you are missing. Think of it this way- it is a lot better to spend a couple hundred dollars than to wreck your truck.
Or save your couple hundred dollars until you have enough money to do it the proper and legal way, and prevent other drivers from wrecking their trucks after being blinded from your poverty lights.
The following 3 users liked this post by memopad:
3.7 (12-22-2012), corsair (12-21-2012), JC Turbo (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Some people must have some sensitive eyes cuz where i live everybody has them in stock housings and they dont bother me
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by memopad

Or save your couple hundred dollars until you have enough money to do it the proper and legal way, and prevent other drivers from wrecking their trucks after being blinded from your poverty lights.
Exactly.

HIDs in non projector housings are dangerous to the people in front of you. We can't see anything, all we can see is a very bright light in our face.
The following users liked this post:
corsair (12-21-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 F150
Some people must have some sensitive eyes cuz where i live everybody has them in stock housings and they dont bother me
Could be worse on the roads I drive because there are no streetlights and little traffic. So when some of these lights do show up the contrast from the pitch black night is horrible. Can't blame my old eyes either because i'm "only" 27.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinn
The Bulbs I'm riding with are:

PIAA Xtreme White Plus
Xtreme Cool Blue White Light
4000K 85/75W
I'm sorry to start off my reply like this, but if you got bulbs like these PIAA Xtreme White than you do not have HIDs. You have replacement light bulbs, you see HIDs use a "capsule" and not a bulb and require a ballast to light up.

Now, nomenclature aside, if the replacement bulbs make a notable improvement in the stock lights, that is awesome! Post some pictures so we can see it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 6000k in mine, factory housings and honestly I don't give a damn if I blind other people as long as I can see that's all that matters to me. Here in So-Cal you can't count more than 20 car before you see hids in non projector lenses. How ever I am getting an annoying flicker every so often. Oh and before any goes and starts saying that its dangerous and what not we don't have 2 lane highways we have 5 lane one way direction freeways.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

x3 never been blinded by any HID setup.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Review.