Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help on wiring

Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Mason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on wiring

I'm wiring my lightbar and pods. I have a 6 circuit fuse block to work as the fused source from the switch. Does the fuse block need to have a relay installed to it since I have a relay harness on both the accessories? Right now it's a 12 gauge wire coming from the battery to the fuseblock to power it and 5 amp fuses in the fuse block to be the fused source.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I'd recommend a relay yes.

Your fuse block is basically a power distribution place, with different size fuses for things. I have one in my truck, it's great. Keeps wiring nice and tidy.

You don't necessarily NEED a relay as long as you use a switch that can handle the amperage of the device you are using. But it's always a good idea to use a fuse block.

What size lightbar are you using (more importantly, do you know it's amp rating OR the wattage). Same for the pods. That would help determine if you DO need a relay.

For my truck, I used relays, even on my 36w reverse lights (which were only about 5amps). Reason for this is it's just safer. My switches carry almost NO load and all they do is turn a relay on and off.

NOW with that said IF you are using the factory harness that came with your lights, that most likely already has the relay built in. And you are good to go. Just wire that provided harness to your distribution block and you are done. Nice and easy.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Mason

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
I'd recommend a relay yes.

Your fuse block is basically a power distribution place, with different size fuses for things. I have one in my truck, it's great. Keeps wiring nice and tidy.

You don't necessarily NEED a relay as long as you use a switch that can handle the amperage of the device you are using. But it's always a good idea to use a fuse block.

What size lightbar are you using (more importantly, do you know it's amp rating OR the wattage). Same for the pods. That would help determine if you DO need a relay.

For my truck, I used relays, even on my 36w reverse lights (which were only about 5amps). Reason for this is it's just safer. My switches carry almost NO load and all they do is turn a relay on and off.

NOW with that said IF you are using the factory harness that came with your lights, that most likely already has the relay built in. And you are good to go. Just wire that provided harness to your distribution block and you are done. Nice and easy.
My lightbar is 120 watts and my 2 pods are 18 watts each. Both of those accessories have a relay wire harness hooked up to them. Since I have the relays for the accessories does that mean I need a relay for the fuse block? All the fuse block is doing is being the fused source for the rocker switch.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Nope, you have everything you need. Your wiring harness already has the relay. So you just need to wire up to positive and ground. You are all set. It also has a fuse built in which you may or may not want to keep (I cut mine off since I have a fused distribution block, no need for 2 fuses).
Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Mason

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Nope, you have everything you need. Your wiring harness already has the relay. So you just need to wire up to positive and ground. You are all set. It also has a fuse built in which you may or may not want to keep (I cut mine off since I have a fused distribution block, no need for 2 fuses).
Alright thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help on wiring