Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help Needed - OPT7 Fuse Tapped LEDs Activate On Their Own

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Help Needed - OPT7 Fuse Tapped LEDs Activate On Their Own

(posted this in the 2009-2014 section but thought it might get more responses here)

For anyone who has the OPT7 lighting kits (ambient lights/underglow lights/bed lights/etc.)....... I've got a few issues with the lights and it's probably a setup error on my part (although I don't see anything wrong with the setup).

1. I have 2 kits installed, both by OPT7. First was the interior ambient lights and just last night I installed two of the underglow strips (for courtesy lighting, kind of like puddle lights).

2. The lights were installed per the directions with the fuse taps that the kit came with. Two kits installed into different unused fuses.

3. I've had the interior LEDs hooked up for a couple months now and sometimes when I go to get in my truck I've noticed that they were on, even though I didn't turn them on myself.

4. Installed the underglow stips last night, which are hooked up with their own control box into a different open fuse than the interior LEDs. When I came outside this morning ONLY the underglow lights were on. Not sure why.

Anyone else experience this or know why I'm having this issue?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious i have 2014 f-150 and the fuse tap doesn't fit how did you get yours to fit into the slot? To answer your question there is an auxiliary fuse that's only on when the truck is on its think it's fuse 11 (check owners manual for exact number) this on the passenger side fuse panel.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Check to see if you are shorting something out? When the lights are on (when they are NOT supposed to be) check the fuse and your ground (unpainted vehicle chasis/bolt) and see if you have voltage. If you do, that FUSE is active for some reason.

What are you tapping into for power?

I've never been a fan of tapping into a fuse for power if you can avoid it (i did tap into one for the amber lights for my grill though)

What kind of fuse tap do they provide you? The king that you crimp onto a wire OR does it replace your fuse, giving you a power wire leed and room for another fuse?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Includes a lead with a 10a and a slot to replace the fuse you're placing the tap.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

K that's what I used on my grill lights... try what I said... if they come on when they should NOT, check that voltage on that fuse and the ground... also let us know WHICH fuse you tapped into so maybe one of us can look it up/test our own fuse to see WHEN It comes on.

Quick Reply: Help Needed - OPT7 Fuse Tapped LEDs Activate On Their Own