Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help Installing HID bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help Installing HID bulbs

So this may sound strange but i am in no way an electrical kind of person so i was wondering if anyone in the central Florida area would possibly lend me a hand sometime. I bought the hid bulb kit from retrofit and the only problem now is that im not handy or confident enough that i can install them properly without damaging something.

So if someone wouldn't mind meeting somewhere and helping me install these so i can learn a bit... i live in daytona beach but i can meet someone and ill buy some lunch or whatnot...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Step 1... take HID bulbs and hold them in your hand
Step 2... take HID bulbs now in your hands, place them back in the box they came from
Step 3... put box in another box
Step 4... stick some UPS labels on it, send it back

Just kidding, I'm an LED guy lol.

What part of Daytona you in? I hail from Ormond Beach myself (for 5 years, now in NY where I was born/bread)

Are you installing those HID bulbs in a projection housing or your stock halogen housings? What year is your truck? If you are planning to use the HID in the stock halogens i DO NOT recommend it and I'm sure everybody else will side with me. HID in a stock housing is a BAD idea. Even cheap LED kits in stock housings are a BAD idea.

Now if you are using these HID in your projection housing, we need to know which year your truck is and which projection lights you are using.

For the most part it's ALMOST plug and play. You put the bulb in the opening, then plug the bulb into the ballast. That's the easy part. You then need to plug the relay harness (you SHOULD have gotten a relay harness) into your factory bulb connectors. You only need to plug in one side typically (but this CAN throw the computer off as it may think you have a bulb out since the other side is not hooked up)... all depends on the harness you got.

Then the harness gets wired directly to the CHASIS of your vehicle (for ground) and to your battery terminal (for power, it should have a fuse built in as well).

HID's require more power then your stock harness puts out (that's another reason LED are better).

Give us some more info so we can help you out.

IF your truck has stock HID already and you are replacing those, then it should be as simple as just swapping the bulbs.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Unless your truck has hid's stock, youll be the ******* blinding oncoming traffic...
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Step 1... take HID bulbs and hold them in your hand
Step 2... take HID bulbs now in your hands, place them back in the box they came from
Step 3... put box in another box
Step 4... stick some UPS labels on it, send it back

Just kidding, I'm an LED guy lol.

What part of Daytona you in? I hail from Ormond Beach myself (for 5 years, now in NY where I was born/bread)

Are you installing those HID bulbs in a projection housing or your stock halogen housings? What year is your truck? If you are planning to use the HID in the stock halogens i DO NOT recommend it and I'm sure everybody else will side with me. HID in a stock housing is a BAD idea. Even cheap LED kits in stock housings are a BAD idea.

Now if you are using these HID in your projection housing, we need to know which year your truck is and which projection lights you are using.

For the most part it's ALMOST plug and play. You put the bulb in the opening, then plug the bulb into the ballast. That's the easy part. You then need to plug the relay harness (you SHOULD have gotten a relay harness) into your factory bulb connectors. You only need to plug in one side typically (but this CAN throw the computer off as it may think you have a bulb out since the other side is not hooked up)... all depends on the harness you got.

Then the harness gets wired directly to the CHASIS of your vehicle (for ground) and to your battery terminal (for power, it should have a fuse built in as well).

HID's require more power then your stock harness puts out (that's another reason LED are better).

Give us some more info so we can help you out.

IF your truck has stock HID already and you are replacing those, then it should be as simple as just swapping the bulbs.
I'm in Ormond beach as well. I'll be installing the bulbs into anzo u bar headlights. I have a 2012 king ranch.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Unless your truck has hid's stock, youll be the ******* blinding oncoming traffic...
That's quite the blanket statement.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
That's quite the blanket statement.
Its the truth... hid's in reflector housings scatter the light everywhere and blind other drivers.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:23 PM

I wont be using the standard housing. Ill be using projector housings.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Its the truth... hid's in reflector housings scatter the light everywhere and blind other drivers.

By your statement you are saying that they have never worked in any combination of bulb or housing and I am quite certain that you have never tested every combination, therefore your statement is utter BS.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
By your statement you are saying that they have never worked in any combination of bulb or housing and I am quite certain that you have never tested every combination, therefore your statement is utter BS.
Sounds like someone trying to justify running HIDs in a stock, reflector housing... It's not BS, it's the truth. Some HIDs have shields and are 'better' than others but that's about as good as it gets. HIDs produce light in a very different way than halogens, that's why you get a ton of scatter when you throw HIDs into a having meant for halogens. It's well documented and proven over and over again, do some research.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pugga
Sounds like someone trying to justify running HIDs in a stock, reflector housing... It's not BS, it's the truth. Some HIDs have shields and are 'better' than others but that's about as good as it gets. HIDs produce light in a very different way than halogens, that's why you get a ton of scatter when you throw HIDs into a having meant for halogens. It's well documented and proven over and over again, do some research.
Not at all, just hate people using unsubstantiated blanket statements.

Quick Reply: Help Installing HID bulbs