Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Headlight HID Assembly Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight HID Assembly Problems

I know there is already a thread dedicated to HID's but this is a little different problem. The HID's themselves work awesome and are very bright but when I put them in the headlight housing a lot of the light is blocked. On the inside of the housing is a cone like thing that goes around the bulb. If I knocked that housing around the bulb out then would that allow for more light to be shown through? I have 10,000k HID's and I can barely see 25 yards with them. I have adjusted the housing in every way possible and they just wont shine out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I paid too much to just go back to halogens!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Effective light output starts dropping off at 5000k. No wonder you can't see.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by JPayneF150
I know there is already a thread dedicated to HID's but this is a little different problem. The HID's themselves work awesome and are very bright but when I put them in the headlight housing a lot of the light is blocked. On the inside of the housing is a cone like thing that goes around the bulb. If I knocked that housing around the bulb out then would that allow for more light to be shown through? I have 10,000k HID's and I can barely see 25 yards with them. I have adjusted the housing in every way possible and they just wont shine out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I paid too much to just go back to halogens!
I really hope you didn't because it sounds like you wasted your money.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

The color temperature you chose is just for show...4300K is the best as far as actual useable light output. After 6000K the useable light drops off very severely, so I would personally never recommend using a color temperature any higher than that. Also, you're trying to use a light source that was not designed for your stock halogen headlight housings (I'm assuming a little here because you didn't provide many details as far as vehicle, lights purchased, etc.) If you get some HID bulbs of appropriate color and mount them using an HID projector you will not be disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
MAH (01-04-2014)

Quick Reply: Headlight HID Assembly Problems