Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headlight bulbs

Just deciding whether to change bulbs or go with led or hid
I don't want to spend to much as the truck got 170K miles on it already
So what would the brightest bulb I could put in my F150 2005 FX4
I've got aftermarket headlights off eBay
And not real happy with them
Probably change those out too

Any suggestions on either

Looking for brightness and lower cost

Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

For bulbs, these, trust me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400377564739?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
For housings, these are well built, I used them for my retrofit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-Fo...8AAOSwP~tW3gCJ
Old 04-23-2016, 09:33 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by john Podlewski
Just deciding whether to change bulbs or go with led or hid
I don't want to spend to much as the truck got 170K miles on it already
So what would the brightest bulb I could put in my F150 2005 FX4
I've got aftermarket headlights off eBay
And not real happy with them
Probably change those out too

Any suggestions on either

Looking for brightness and lower cost

Thanks in advance
Howdy.

Just FYI - fer ye readin' pleasure ....

Please read this ( and the links within): https://www.f150forum.com/f118/brigh...0/#post4561629

ETA1: more info in this link - has data fer Phillips products:

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/2015-h...8/#post4552060

( 2015 thread - but applicable as the same premise applies to an H13 as it does to an H11 ).

When the manufacturers themselves publish specifications detailing the facts regarding intensity and bulb life, it would probably be safe to assume they are accurate.

Bottom line - no such thing as a brighter (or longer life) halogen cycle bulb, all else being equal ( e.g. DOT compliance for fitment, power input/output, product line, etc, etc).

In other words, other than Kelvin rating, even the lowest-cost bulb offers aboot the same MSCP and Lu output, along with longer life - for less cost.

The issue here is usually one's perception as Kelvin rating rises. But instrumented data does not lie and iss unaffected by human frailty.

Best bet - keep yer housings clean and clear (polish/seal if necessary), ensure yer bulbs are getting full voltage (inspect/clean connectors / contacts, apply dielectric to seal), and change the bulbs often (another manufacturer recommendation as halogen bulbs begin to degrade in output as the usage hours increase). 1-2 years is not uncommon fer best resuts - again - usage hours is key - if you only drive in daylight ( and don't have DRL), a bulb that is Off will last a looong time .

ETA2: sorry fergot to address yer aftermarket housings. Yep - those are notorious fer producing less output, and a poor beam pattern, fer a given bulb than OEM. The housings ideally should be replaced (as linked by Summers) fer optimum results with halogen bulbs, if it's in yer budget.

Option - save up ye pennies, wait fer another TRS sale and do a HID projector retrofit - can be done fer far less than you think. Just throwin' that out there.

AVOID the urge to simply drop in a PnP HID or LED bulb upgrade. Please don't drink the Koolaid that all of those shady, nefarious, unscrupulous, disingenuous, malcontent, miscreants/crooks are peddling here and elsewhere.

Good luck
Ol' Bubber

PS - befer anyone says anythang - Ol' Bubber's been aroond long enough to have tried everthang w.r.t vehicle lighting systems - hell, fer halogens I got my biggest benefit from adding a separate battery-direct feed harness to the heads, bypassing the ridiculously circuitous (pun intended) voltage-dropping route the factory uses to apply power to the filaments. Give them bulbs 14.4V of quality power (running) and they work great fer what they are, aight!

Last edited by MGD; 04-23-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added missing info
Old 04-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

If you are Looking for LED bulbs shoot me a PM or check out my site

They are more expensive then just replacing your bulbs with direct swap outs but you can always take the bulbs with you when you get something new as they will last a REALnlong time
The following users liked this post:
Cub Cadet (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
If you are Looking for LED bulbs shoot me a PM or check out my site

They are more expensive then just replacing your bulbs with direct swap outs but you can always take the bulbs with you when you get something new as they will last a REALnlong time
While in some applications this is true, but the 04-08 round reflector housing is a horrible reflector for LED bulbs. Several, including me,04-08 members have tried and dislike LED's in our housings.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headlight bulbs

Originally Posted by Summers22
For bulbs, these, trust me:

Philips 9008 CVS2 Crystalvision Ultra Bulbs New | eBay

For housings, these are well built, I used them for my retrofit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-Fo...8AAOSwP~tW3gCJ
Ok thanks
I will use the bulbs
But for the headlights, I was looking for more of a halo look, would you suggest the same company, because they sell those in the halo style.

This helps really appreciate it
Just don't want condensation
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by john Podlewski
Ok thanks
I will use the bulbs
But for the headlights, I was looking for more of a halo look, would you suggest the same company, because they sell those in the halo style.

This helps really appreciate it
Just don't want condensation
As long as the housings you choose retains the OEM-like reflector, should be fine. IF you are contemplating an erzatz 'projector-style' housing with halos, you will suffer poor output. No bulb will perform as well in that style of housing. Avoid that type.

To avoid condensation, you can always bake them open and reseal with butyl. And this will also allow you to install yer own high-quality halo rings if you prefer ( the ones that typically come with these aftermarket heads are crap quality and highly failure-prone ).

Both butyl and rings can be found here: www.theretrofitsource.com.

Question - did you review the links I posted previously? Again - consider the actual technical performance of all of these bulb choices - the only substantive difference is kelvin and lifespan.

MGD

Quick Reply: Headlight bulbs