Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

headlight bulb changeout

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight bulb changeout

2011 F150

Per recommendations from several folks in this group, I bought PIAA replacement headlight bulbs. Problem is, I seem to be too lame to put them in. I tried moving one of the plastic tabs far enough to get the first headlight tab out....it promptly broke off. Also, on closer examination; the headlights appear to be glued in. How does one remove a headlight to exchange bulbs? Am I going to have to go to the dealer or a body shop to get this done?

Thank you for any replies.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I though it was just a few screws and clips to remove the headlight housing, then just a twist to remove the bulb.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pcctex
2011 F150

Per recommendations from several folks in this group, I bought PIAA replacement headlight bulbs. Problem is, I seem to be too lame to put them in. I tried moving one of the plastic tabs far enough to get the first headlight tab out....it promptly broke off. Also, on closer examination; the headlights appear to be glued in. How does one remove a headlight to exchange bulbs? Am I going to have to go to the dealer or a body shop to get this done?

Thank you for any replies.

Assuming this is a serious post...

Don't try to pull the lens cover off. The bulb screws in from behind the housing.

How to: Remove the two screws on top (10 mm hex IIRC). Remove the plastic pin with a phillips head on it that holds the flexible panel on between the radiator and the headlight housing. Behind there is another screw identical to the two you just removed. Remove this third screw. Pull the headlight housing straight out. Do not pull up or to the side... directly forward. This will expose the back of the headlight housing.
Unclip the connector. Twist the bulb counter clockwise about 1/4 turn. Pull it out.

Reverse this to reassemble.

Lastly, save up for an HID projector retrofit.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Blueleader (11-21-2012)

Quick Reply: headlight bulb changeout