Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

FXR v stock 2013 Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default FXR v stock 2013 Projectors

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the FXR projectors versus the stock Ford projectors? Trying to see if its worth the time and effort to upgrade new lights.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
F150 Forum

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

By far, the FX-R and EVOX-R projectors will be better than the OEM HID projectors, and even more so if you use Osram CBI bulbs and 50w ballasts. In fact, there is nothing really on the road that will compare to this combo....not even most of the ultra luxury cars. Yes, the F150 owner can dominate the light world, WITHOUT blinding other traffic on the road.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the response. I was hoping you would chime in! Looks like I'll have to attempt my first retro fit now..... Which projector would you go with?

Last edited by MixMastaMM; 02-05-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
Thanks for the response. I was hoping you would chime in! Looks like I'll have to attempt my first retro fit now..... Which projector would you go with?
Evox-r's bolt right in. That is what I will be doing once I get a set of 2013 housings.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If you check out TRS (The Retrofit Source) and the associated forum HIDplanet they have a ton of unofficial output pics. From those pics the ony difference i could tell between an FX-R and the EVOX-R was more of a hotspot (Barely) on the EVO and just slightly more width on the FX-R. In talking to Bilinvic and other retrofitters, many mentioned the FX-R has a bit better low-beam, and all over the net you can read about the EVO's high beam.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
HAK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes the FXR and EVOX projectors are far better than the oem Ford HID projectors but to say there isn't anything better out there is not truly an accurate statement, boosted ballasts or not. There are several better bi-x or even single xenon HID projectors. For the money the FXR and EVOX is a popular choice due to the bang for the buck factor. Make no mistake though they are not in the same league as Porsche Bi-x, clear lensed TL, LS460 etc. not a bad projector by any means but just wanted to clarify there are better setups you could go with. All in how far you want to go.

With projectors it doesn't really matter what type of car or how exotic or expensive it is. Take Benz for example. They continue to put sub par projectors on even the most expensive of Benz. Typically you will find the Asian vehicles have the better projectors (kioto, Stanley, etc). A Ferrari could easily house the same Viseton projector used in the older Ford Focus HID projectors lol. Headlights aren't sourced or built within a car manufacturer, only designed there most of the time. It's the 3rd party that builds the. Same third party that builds a Bentley could also build headlights for a Chrysler.

Last edited by HAK; 02-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
F150 Forum

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

I am talking stock OEM projectors. My buddy owns two brand new Porsches and my in-laws have a new BMW, their lighting is good, but not even close to an FX-R or EVOX-R. When you build headlights for a living, you take special note of these kind of things. Yes, a modified LS460 is a great, top performing projector, but it's high beam properties are still sub-par. For the considerable amount of hard earned cash put out for "better" projectors, the overall difference in performance does not substantiate the $$$$$. Just my opinion.

I completely agree with you HAK, you would think that Mercedes would have the best headlights in the world....
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
HAK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm referring to the Porsche Bi-x that were real similar to the 1st gen Morano projectors. I don't think a newer Porsche still uses the same projector. I could be wrong though. They were very powerful, super wide and very even distribution. The high beam wasn't the greatest but then again I still think a crusty old E55 still retains king of the hill in high beam mode. I had some great output shots I took of them but they are long gone when HIDplanet switched owners to Matt and lost my server space during the process

The FXR is a nice projector. I'm certainly not knocking it as Matt and the TRS crew have refined it over the years. It's hard to beat for the price which is why they are so abundant and most commonly used these days.

I am still on the bench about which direction I intend to go. I kind of waiting to see if the company I work for is going to buy the Objet 3D printer I have spec'd out. Then I can 3D scan the housing cavity of a stock F150 headlight and make my own shroud/bezel to fully enclose the area modeling it to look similar to the new HID headlight housings. Something a lil different. I'm still unsure what projector I may go with. I have been tossing the idea of going with a single xenon and use a 10" or whatever size LED strip will fit behind my billet grill in the bumper to act as my high beam. That way I can get a get low beam which is what we all use over a high beam. Also toying around idea of getting a 1st gen TL projector with step shield and doing a ZKW lens swap. That is a GREAT bi-xenon combo I ran for a couple of years. Never ran it boosted but it didn't really need it. Boosted would of been awesome though lol!!

Last edited by HAK; 02-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the great tips! Looks like I'll be ordering from TRS soon!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bilinvic Retrofits
By far, the FX-R and EVOX-R projectors will be better than the OEM HID projectors, and even more so if you use Osram CBI bulbs and 50w ballasts. In fact, there is nothing really on the road that will compare to this combo....not even most of the ultra luxury cars. Yes, the F150 owner can dominate the light world, WITHOUT blinding other traffic on the road.
So the new Ford HID 2013 lights will 'blind people'?

Quick Reply: FXR v stock 2013 Projectors