Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Finished cupholder light mod, now footwell lights next, need DOME power

Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Finished cupholder light mod, now footwell lights next, need DOME power

Hey guys,
I just completed making light rings for my cup-holder and also added accent lighting to storage cubby in front of shifter.
I followed advice from another thread called "poor mans cupholder lights".

Considering Ford ambient lighting kit with light rings for cup-holder is $400.00 I think it turned out decent.
Total cost was ~$20.00. You have to do some drimelling to the console and cup-holder mount to fit the rope light. I wired it into my shifter light in the console so it comes on when dash lights do and is dim controlled by the factory dim switch.

Now I looking to add footwell lighting front and back. I want these lights on only when the dome light is on, i.e. unlocking the truck, opening the door or manually turning on dome at master light switch.
I don't want them on with dash lights or headlights as it would bug me driving with lights reflecting off the windows inside at night.

I've read tons of threads trying to find the best place to tie in power for this goal. I've heard drivers door sill, thin purple and thin black wires. I have also heard thin yellow/green. Its not clear what color wire I should be tapping into in the drivers sill or elsewhere to get the lights to activate with the dome.

Does anyone know definitively which two wires I need to grab at the drivers door sill? Also will this only activate the footwells if drivers door is open or also when any door is open? Again, I want them to be perfectly in sync with the dome as far as when it turns on and off. Truck is a 2013 FX4 with nav and all options.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Here is a pic of my cup-holder mod. The blue in the cubby hole is exactly the same color as the rings. The camera just made the blue look darker and like a UV light but its actually a perfect match.
Cheers
Danny
Attached Thumbnails Finished cupholder light mod, now footwell lights next, need DOME power-cup-holder.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Danny.....you did it again! First the brake light and now this....nice !

For the lights, check the thread "LED bedlights" that has a bunch of posts. Lots of guys in there are tapping into the cargo lights in a few locations and cover where and wire colors.

Don 't want to steer you wrong but the answer should be in there if you have the time to search.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by nickstradamus
Danny.....you did it again! First the brake light and now this....nice !

For the lights, check the thread "LED bedlights" that has a bunch of posts. Lots of guys in there are tapping into the cargo lights in a few locations and cover where and wire colors.

Don 't want to steer you wrong but the answer should be in there if you have the time to search.

Many thanks Nick however this was another persons mod I just decided to duplicate. I wish I had this level of creativity. I'm like a Chinese company, I simply take what some awesome American has designed and created and I knock it off for cheap. ha ha

I'll review that thread a little closer. I actually posted in that thread when I did my bed lights but have not reviewed it in awhile. Hopefully there is someone with a 2013 who knows for sure a dome power wire up in the front.
Cheers
Danny
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

lots of posts out there... finding them is the hard part

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/how-ins...1-f150-244805/
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by byte
lots of posts out there... finding them is the hard part

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/how-ins...1-f150-244805/
True dat!
I'm going through many now.
Funny thing is I'm a poster in that thread link you posted above. Ha
Thanks!
Danny
Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
2014 Lariat

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan what lights did you use for the cup holder.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2014Lariat
Dan what lights did you use for the cup holder.
It was a blue LED round tube light I bought from AutoZone. I can't remember the brand but there are not too many that have the round tube type.
I have not seen multiple sizes either so whatever diameter you find is likely the same as what I used.
There is another thread on here "poor mans lighted cup holder" ( something to that affect) I think that has more detailed info as to what the lights brand was. That is where I originally copied the idea from.

The other small blue LED in the cubby hole was from superbrightleds.com. It was just standard small blue LED with 2 wires coming off of it.

Sorry I can't direct you better with part numbers and names, its been awhile since I completed this mod and those 8 brain cells have been reloaded with other things now..
Old 03-23-2015, 03:05 PM
2014 Lariat

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dannytexas
It was a blue LED round tube light I bought from AutoZone. I can't remember the brand but there are not too many that have the round tube type.
I have not seen multiple sizes either so whatever diameter you find is likely the same as what I used.
There is another thread on here "poor mans lighted cup holder" ( something to that affect) I think that has more detailed info as to what the lights brand was. That is where I originally copied the idea from.

The other small blue LED in the cubby hole was from superbrightleds.com. It was just standard small blue LED with 2 wires coming off of it.

Sorry I can't direct you better with part numbers and names, its been awhile since I completed this mod and those 8 brain cells have been reloaded with other things now..
Not a problem. I just ordered it from f150leds. Couldn't find anything local and I got 10% off from forum. Thanks anyway
The following users liked this post:
dannytexas (03-23-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished cupholder light mod, now footwell lights next, need DOME power