Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

F150 Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F150 Clearance Lights

Hi all,

I've been looking to install some of the clearance (aka cab? see many terms for it) lights on the top of the cab in my 2011 F150 Lariat. They look awesome and I think it would be a cool addition. I've seen some videos for installing on 250s and other kinds of trucks but haven't been able to find a guide for an actual F150. Anyone that has done this have any advice or know of a good video/guide out there on the install?

Thanks,
Big Hoss
Old 11-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Most times there won't be a write up or video for half tons - simply because they don't need clearance lights for any reason. You see write ups and videos for 3/4 and 1 tons because a lot of people add them when they throw on a deck or welding rig, etc. Half tons, like our beloved F-150's, simply aren't wide enough to warrant requirement. The Raptor is wide enough to require clearance lights, but it uses the LED's in the high stop light and below the tail lights, as well as the LED's in the grille and below the head lights.

It's simple enough to add onto your truck though. Remove your headliner, chop holes, power them to park lights, seal up nice and good, and voila - cab marker lights. If you have a sunroof, it'll be a bit easier to do stuff from the top side. Using the lines in the roof, line up the 3 center ones with the 3 center lines. Measure out from the side of the truck an even distance that looks good to you and place the remaining lights there. Usually the (side to side) 1 and 5 lights are slightly further from 2 and 4 than 2 and 4 are from the center, which adds to the aesthetic quality and all that.

I would not make the difference in distance as severe as the above photo, instead I'd line the 3 center lights with the 3 center lines in the roof, like previously stated

I recently got in a set of LED smoked marker lights myself, but weather in Alberta sucks something serious, so I'm probably going to wait until spring to do mine as I don't have a garage.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Jeriko; 11-14-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: My spelling apparently sucks today
Old 11-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Official Bass Slapper

For weather-proofing and all that jazz, just look up generic instructions of how to install cab lights. Other than what wire to plug into, it's fairly universal. You could even throw on chebby cab lights if you want. I like the current style Dodge/Ram cab marker lights personally.

Last edited by Jeriko; 11-14-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: My spelling apparently sucks today.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:23 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I think the Newer Chevy/GMC clearence lights look best! Less holes to make and lower profile as well!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Official Bass Slapper

hey, whadddaya know. I found a write-up

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/f150-c...flasher-97754/
The following users liked this post:
Big Hoss (11-22-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine off Recon and had Car Toys install them. Just call Car Toys and ask for a quote 1st. I love mine!

Last edited by ckjaecks; 11-20-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Misspelling!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate all the advice! Thanks for the info Jeriko and for digging up that link, I think it's a good fit for my situation and will help a lot. Now to build up the nerve to take a drill to the roof of my baby
The following users liked this post:
Jeriko (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
A guy with a truck...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first set of cab lights I installed I spent longer messing with the template to make sure it was perfect. The '13 Ram 2500 I drilled last took me more time to pull the headliner down than to drill/install the lights.

Speaking from experience, pull the headliner first, and make sure you're not trying to drill into / through a doubled steel structure area (by the A pillar). It can really become a nightmare. Don't ask.

That aside, make sure you clean (compressed air) the shavings VERY WELL and that the mounting gaskets are clean and treated with a vinyl type treatment (NOT ARMORALL) before install. I've installed multiple sets without silicone and NEVER had a leak.

Quick Reply: F150 Clearance Lights