Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Exterior mirror turn signal hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior mirror turn signal hook-up

I have a 2009 XLT Crew Cab with no lighting in the exterior rear view mirrors. Has anyone found a kit/mod to accomplish this?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default First off ....

Originally Posted by kevin7003
I have a 2009 XLT Crew Cab with no lighting in the exterior rear view mirrors. Has anyone found a kit/mod to accomplish this?
Do you have powered mirrors ? If so its pretty easy ... The Turn signal wires and puddle lamps should be in the harness that plug into the side mirror .... Only problem is your wire colors are probably different than my 2013 ... so you need to find the correct schematic for the 09 XLT online ..just do a Google search and look at images ...
I had to take the mirrors off to route wires so , save yourself the trouble and remove them first and then take out the mirror on your wk bench and add the LED's so you can bench test before you install ... its much easier IMO ... I also went with a 3/4 amber in the puddle lamp spot for an extra signal seen from behind , dont need the regular light there ... plenty of light under truck with 7 ft led strips on each side ....
Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks, GH!

Yes, I have power mirrors so I will pull one to see what the harness looks like. I also have the full shop manual and have located the Smart Junction Box in the passenger kick panel where the target fuse is so I should be able to trace the right colors.

We''ll give it a whirl!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm assuming you're installing mirrors with the lights in them vs your originals that were without? I've seen more than one posting where someone found the wiring was already there for lights and the mirrors were "plug-n-play". My guess is that is more cost effective to have one style harness than 2 or 3 different ones depending on what options a particular truck has.

Might be worth a try...
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM

Yes, that would make sense. Once I confirm the harness is already there, I will order the new mirror sets. Any idea who has them with both turn signal and puddle lights? Seems most I have found are either one or the other.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Fly or Die

Here's what I did on my 2014 STX:
1.do you have power adjust mirrors? if yes, then you will have the harness up to the point where the mirror attaches to the door. XLT should be a yes
2. Are you installing power adjust, heated with turn signal lamps and puddle lamps?
if yes, you should be okay with the electrical harness up to the point where the mirror attaches to the door.
3. Are you looking to install power fold option ? if yes, you will require a new adjust control **** with that feature.

Be sure to verify that your climate controls have the feature for the heated mirrors or else that wont work.

In order to save a few bucks, I bought an older pair of mirrors with the options I wanted the disassembled my mirrors and swapped the harness in the mirror itself.
Once the harness was in, I added the turn signal lights and the new heated mirror glass.
Then I swapped out the basic climate controls for one with the heat option, and viola !
All works great. Since my truck is all black, I opted to leave out the reflectors on the front of the mirrors.
took about 40 minutes per mirror to remove from the truck, do the swap , and re-install.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have the power adjust, you'll have the signal light in the harness already. My old 06 XLT work truck didn't have signal lights to begin with, but after a couple of neighbourhood teenagers got at the mirrors (caught on camera) I ordered the set with heated and signal light. Plugged it in, lo and behold, I had signal lights and heated glass.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Success! I pulled the door panel and exterior rearview mirror (driver's side) and the fully equipped feed harness is already installed as some of you pointed out. The OEM mirror has only a 4 pin connector for mirror adjustment. The harness has several more, including turn signal, heat and puddle (interior) connectors which checked out on a voltmeter. The heat is connected to the rear window defrost button.

Now to find mirrors with all capability?? E-Bay or Amazon, I guess.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

1A Auto has some quality products for the regular mirrors.

Regular with power adjust, heat, puddle, and signal:
http://www.1aauto.com/ford-f150-truc...=678934&y=2013

Regular with power adjust, heat, puddle, signal, and power fold (see link at bottom for how to install power fold):
http://www.1aauto.com/2007-14-ford-f...=678936&y=2013

Tow with power adjust, heat, puddle, and signal:
http://www.1aauto.com/2007-14-ford-f...=511989&y=2013

However, if you want power folding tow mirrors and don't mind some wiring:
http://www.1aauto.com/2007-14-ford-f...=867968&y=2013
You will have to wire in the park lights. As they come, the second LED on the side that should act as a running/park light is wired into the puddle lights. It's simple enough to run a wire from the park light circuit to the mirrors using the same process as described for the power fold. Or wire it into a switched circuit that's on with ignition, either will work.

Using this thread, it's possible to use the OEM power fold / adjust switch instead of mounting a new one:
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/folding...5/#post3734051
It was written for enabling power fold on the regular mirrors, but it's the same premise for the tow mirrors. Just swap out the mirror part #

Last edited by Jeriko; 04-10-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Lights on order

Quick Reply: Exterior mirror turn signal hook-up