Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Dually, D2, or something else

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dually, D2, or something else

Just started looking at upgrading to something brighter for Wyoming back roads. Looking at putting some cubes beside my license plate like many others have done.

Wondering if the Rigid D2's are worth the extra cost, and if not do I get the flood or spot duallys. Also is there maybe another brand that has a better similar product?

First time messing with aftermarket lights, install seems pretty easy after watching a few YouTube vids. Any tips/tricks on mounting the switch in the cab though? Harnesses or wires that make it easier/cleaner that don't come with the lights typically?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this thread. Just a lot of options out there.

Thanks all
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I originally bought Rigid D2s for that exact location on my F150. They were bright, but nothing overly special. I sold them off and bought the same pod style LED light from Avec lighting. The lighting was the same, but at about 1/3 the cost of Rigid (they ran a group buy on another site I'm a member of). If you're really going to beat on your lights, it might be worth going with Rigid, VisonX or Baja lights, but for on road use or light use, I don't believe they're worth the extra cost.

Spot or flood depends on what you want them to do. I went with spot because I wanted a little more distance out of the lights. If you're doing more slow speed driving and want a nice, wide pattern, go with the flood pattern.

I mounted my lights to the metal bracket that's just behind the holes on either side of the license plate. Drilled one hole on each side and they bolted right up. I ran the wires up, behind the battery and through the firewall at the passenger side of the truck. There's a rubber grommet for a wiring harness and there's an extra hole for additional wiring, you just have to cut open the end. Tape your wires to the end of a small screw driver or coat hanger, push them through and then grab them on the inside, they'll come through behind the glove box.
The following users liked this post:
tcook12 (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Good stuff, thanks!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I had a long post typed up, but it refreshed and deleted all of it. Don't waste your money on China crap, whether it be branded China or just Amazon China lights.

Here are some output pictures of a pair of rigid dually spots. Pretty impressive little lights.
Name:  FFAFDC5E-C683-45C8-9E80-156277B0F2B8_zps9atfavyg.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  59.4 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by AricsFX:
tcook12 (07-23-2015), Total Automotive Performance (08-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the $$, go with rigids or visionx. I put on 2 D2 hyperspots and a 10" hyper bar. I live in Maine part time and I can see the boulder at the end of my tree covered gravel road 1800 feet away with these lights. Deer don't just freeze.......these lights can xray them. I think you get what you pay for. You can get the lumens/brightness from less expensive brands, but you may not get the build quality, optics, focus, and usable beam pattern. Shop around, TP on this site from Nevada offers good deals on rigid, and the D@ duallys are inexpensive, for what they're output is. Seeing alnost 1/4 mile down a black tree covered road is not an accident, and it ain't going to be the cheapest, but for under $200, you get real output that is usable.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

If you're trying to save cash I'd say try a knock-off first and see if you're satisfied with it. If you aren't satisfied you can sell them as used, make some of your money back, and go with a higher quality light. I have 2, 6" off brand lights on my bumper for reverse lights and a 20" bar up front. I couldn't justify spending the money on Rigid. I've had the back up lights for 2 years with no issue, and the light bar for a couple of months.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
If you're trying to save cash I'd say try a knock-off first and see if you're satisfied with it. If you aren't satisfied you can sell them as used, make some of your money back, and go with a higher quality light. I have 2, 6" off brand lights on my bumper for reverse lights and a 20" bar up front. I couldn't justify spending the money on Rigid. I've had the back up lights for 2 years with no issue, and the light bar for a couple of months.
Thanks for the info, and Let's Go Mountaineers
benchwarmer4203 (07-25-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Rigid Industries

Originally Posted by tcook12
Just started looking at upgrading to something brighter for Wyoming back roads. Looking at putting some cubes beside my license plate like many others have done.

Wondering if the Rigid D2's are worth the extra cost, and if not do I get the flood or spot duallys. Also is there maybe another brand that has a better similar product?

First time messing with aftermarket lights, install seems pretty easy after watching a few YouTube vids. Any tips/tricks on mounting the switch in the cab though? Harnesses or wires that make it easier/cleaner that don't come with the lights typically?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this thread. Just a lot of options out there.

Thanks all

I recently installed the Dually Flood up front, replacing existing Ford Fogs and used Ford Fog switch to control. Initially I went with spot, mistake, unless you want to read license plates at 100 yards. Sold the spots and replaced with Floods, just what the Doctor ordered. I actually forgot to turn headlights on a drove 35 miles or so with just RI Fogs, didn't realize until I got on country road and didn't see any lights in the trees. Other than that they replaced headlights!

Those worked so well I bought a set of their flush mount rectangular backup light kits. I have a 2013 F150 Plat
Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM
F150 Forum

Received 235 Likes on 210 Posts

Are you looking for range/distance, or more of a fog light?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking for range. I was thinking of mounting two 10' bars. Who has the best pricing?

Quick Reply: Dually, D2, or something else