Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Driving Lights, High beams and DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving Lights, High beams and DRL's

Has anyone successfully linked they're driving lights to they're high beams on a Canadian 09+ truck with DRL's (halogen lights) without disabling the DRL's?

Tapping into the high beam circuit at the head light, wont work because the DRL module sends ~6v to the high beam lamp.

Anyone find a wire under the dash, that wont screw anything up?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

What about a switch between your high beam tap and your relay? It would be another switch to hit when you turn headlights on/off, but would be the simplest I think.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 AM

I'll have a switch in the circuit, But I don't know where to find a wire that get 12v (and only 12v) when the high beams are activated. Tapping into the wire harness behind the head lamp bulb results in getting 6v when the DRL's are on.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

There is no '12v only' line to the headlights with DRLs. Put a switch between the headlight and your relay. When headlights are off, open the switch so the drl voltage does not reach your relay. When headlights are on, close the switch so when high beams are activated, your relay gets 12v.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Canadian EH?

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not just disable the DRL, or am I missing something? I have mine disabled and never had a problem, and I am from Canada.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 AM

"why not just disable the DRL's"??? (see first post)
1) I get an annual safety done (yellow sticker) no DRL = fail
2) Its law in Ontario, MTO will give you a nice fine for no/disabled DRL's
3) Visibility, the truck is much more visible with DRL's
4) Re-Sale, everything will be just the way it came from the factory when I sell

Any ways.... the DRL's stay.

I just ordered male and female H13 connectors. I plan to plug them in between the headlight lamp and the factory harness. I'll then check the voltages I get from both the High and low beam during different operating states.

I'm hoping to pull a 12 volt signal from the high beam circuit, through a simple switch, then to a relay that controls my lights.

Hopefully, everything should function as I hope, when the headlights are on (DRL's off). and when the DRL's are on, my switch will be off, and the lights/relay wont be doing anything funny with 6 volts (or throwing a the truck's computers into a code)
Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Canadian EH?

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BLSXJ
"why not just disable the DRL's"??? (see first post)
1) I get an annual safety done (yellow sticker) no DRL = fail
2) Its law in Ontario, MTO will give you a nice fine for no/disabled DRL's
3) Visibility, the truck is much more visible with DRL's
4) Re-Sale, everything will be just the way it came from the factory when I sell

Any ways.... the DRL's stay.
My plan with my truck was to get halos, amber ones that would much more visible then my DRL, since they are a brighter colour.

Anytime I drive my truck, I am always running with the Fogs and Parks on, so I have not been bothered by the MTO or the police or anything.

The visibility between the DRL and the fog lights is very similar, actually thing the fog lights are brighter, and are easier to see, especially if you plan on lifting your truck.

DRL can easily be swapped back on when needed by the dealer, to disable mine, it took 5 minutes, and that's how long it takes to enable them.

If I was in your situation, and I am pretty much. I plan on hooking up a Relay to my fog lights so that when the truck turns on, the fog lights come on, but they will function normally when using the switch. I just haven't gotten around to doing that because I have been driving my Mustang and trying to figure out how to disable the DRL on it.

Like I said though, doing the relay would be the best idea, and then when you go to sell the truck, take the relay harness out, and reactivate the original DRL, that way it's all factory, or leave it as is with the fog lights as DRL. Cops/MTO dont care as long as they are there.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need a relay to do that without too much hard work

Quick Reply: Driving Lights, High beams and DRL's