Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Do I need to adjust the head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do I need to adjust the head lights?

I purchased and installed the Anzo Headlight.Im running 4300k HID's in all the lights. Lows-Highs-Fogs. The headlights seem real dim and IMO doesnt seem to be as good of a light pattern. Did I do or not so something right? I have factory HIDs on wifes Acura and aftermarkt HIDs on my vette and they seem brighter and cast a better light pattern than these do...Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If you look in the owners manual it tells you how to adjust the headlights, one can only hope those aftermarket lamps have the same aiming dot on them so your measurements are accurate.
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 612 Likes on 475 Posts

ive only seen up and down for adjustment which should be pretty obvious if you face that garage door at night.

Id imagine what youre seeing is the difference between a nice OEM setup and a cheaper after market setup
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Hmm thanks for the insight..maybe they are pointed in a more downward angle..I'll look into that...thanks!

And the OEM on the '12 blow and these are a vast improvement seems as though I just need to make some adjustments..thanks though
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco_Punisher
Hmm thanks for the insight..maybe they are pointed in a more downward angle..I'll look into that...thanks!

And the OEM on the '12 blow and these are a vast improvement seems as though I just need to make some adjustments..thanks though
The candle holders on the 2013 are no better which is why I spent the extra for OEM HID lamps. The difference is amazing.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM

Everything I drive and or ride have HID's guess I was just lucky when I made the swap that it didn't require adjustment..these ones however guess need some adjustment...lol
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

You should see a very definite horizontal line across the garage door with JUST the low beam on. This is called the "low beam cut-off" line. All of the light from the headlights should be below the horizontal line with very little light above this horizontal line. Any light above the horizontal line is light that blinds oncoming traffic (and usually along with the flashing of high beams at you!).

Cheap aftermarket headlights may have "DOT" molded into the plastic lens, but unless the lamp is ACTUALLY manufactured by a real lighting company...there is a real high chance that it is made by some Chinese here-today-gone-tomollo knock of manufacturer. But how do you tell the difference???? Examine the low beam pattern on a flat surface with no other lights (fog, or extra crap the truck didn't come with)....you will see a nice horizontal line where the light is only below the horizontal line and there should be very little light above the horizontal line. This is called the "low beam cut-off"......

Now, if you have a nice horizontal line, proper aim is to make sure that the vertical height from the ground to the center of the bulb (measured at the truck) is higher than the vertical height from the ground to the "nice horizontal line" you see on the garage door or wall. This is a good place to start. You can now improve your ability to see down the road at night by adjusting from this "level" aiming point by adjusting your headlight aim down a little at a time. A bright light horizontal to the roadway doesn't illuminate the road. It only irritates oncoming traffic. If you spend a little time to get the brightest spot on the road illuminated about 100 feet in front of the truck you will be surprised at how night time driving will become less stressful to your eye (and for the rest of us).
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (04-28-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Awesome looking headlights !!!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks man I appreciate that..I havent gotten a chance to do this yet...I hope I didnt get a cheap headlight..I thought Anzo's were pretty good..
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Take a photograph of the headlight pattern and post it! If you can, stand up a yardstick against the wall when you do to record the height of the low beam cutoff line!

Quick Reply: Do I need to adjust the head lights?