Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Dash Light fix - video & pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Dash Light fix - video & pics

I said somewhere on here that I would put something close to an instructional video for changing the lights in the instrument cluster, and also the climate controls...

Well it FINALLY got done today.

Primary reason for this vid is some people just are terrified of the thought of going into the dash for a simple light bulb fix. Scared of breaking something or making something not work properly after installation.

Well folks, get used to it because it does not matter how great a mechanic or electronics engineer you are, sometime or another, and you NEVER know when it will happen, YOU ARE GONNA BREAK SOMETHING..

So here goes...

My vehicle is a 1997 Ford F-150 Extended cab 3-door with a long bed..

I am pretty sure this will apply to the range of models like mine, but I am not about to guarantee it. So anyways..

I have a video up on youtube and will be posting the link under the pictures here. During the video making, I screwed up and managed to get a totally new piece of information which is shown in the video regarding removing the headlight switch.. PAY ATTENTION to it, or you will have to buy another one, just like I am going to have to do!!

Something to mention in the pictures below,
the amount of lighting shown in the pictures is not ACTUAL, they are really dimmer than this...
they still light up where you can see everything, but not as bright as these pictures make them appear.

Also, the picture of the instrument cluster, NOTICE the top of the speedometer is STILL green in color... that is because those are the 74 bulbs, NOT the 194 bulbs like I had in hand. so I will have to order those and make another trip into the dashboard to change those. But when it comes to those, I am changing EVERY ONE OF THEM in my cluster so that I have ALL LED bulbs to both reduce power consumption, and heat buildup in the cluster.

Video is here:

Enjoy, and try to NOT pee yourself while watching from the laughter!!

Last edited by Big_Ed; 02-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash Light fix - video & pics