Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

A couple of questions on H1 mini retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple of questions on H1 mini retrofit

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me answer a few questions I had while working on retrofitting the h1 kit in my truck. First, I know the h1 projectors are bi-xenon, is the wire that runs from the projector that's for the solenoid for if you want to run high beams as well? I really don't want to hook the high beams up so I was curious if I could leave that wire out or not. Secondly, reading through the instructions, it says to insert projector with solenoid and beam cutoff on bottom and then insert the bulb with the ground part in at six oclock. If I follow that guide does that mean everything will be aligned? Finally, do I need to setup the height aim? How will I do that? Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

1 - Technically no, you dont need to hook up high beam, but Im not sure why you wouldnt?
2 - You'll still have to tweak them before you jb weld or whatever youre using to secure them permenantly
3 - Proper way is to park on level ground, 25' away from a wall. Measure from the ground to the center of the projector. Subtract 2" and thats where the cut off should be. Since the mini's just use a nut, tighten the nut in the housing, put the housings back on your truck (without the lense) and do the above... Also thats how you'll make sure your projectors are straight. Once theyre staright and aimed, put the jb weld or whatever on.
The following users liked this post:
markc11 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
1 - Technically no, you dont need to hook up high beam, but Im not sure why you wouldnt?
2 - You'll still have to tweak them before you jb weld or whatever youre using to secure them permenantly
3 - Proper way is to park on level ground, 25' away from a wall. Measure from the ground to the center of the projector. Subtract 2" and thats where the cut off should be. Since the mini's just use a nut, tighten the nut in the housing, put the housings back on your truck (without the lense) and do the above... Also thats how you'll make sure your projectors are straight. Once theyre staright and aimed, put the jb weld or whatever on.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:26 AM

eyecandy, where does the solenoid wire hook to? I just wasn't going to wire up the solenoid if that was for high beams because I still will have the halogen high beam bulb. Also, are there any tricks to putting the lenses back together? Do I want to heat the housing with glue first then pull out of oven and press lens on or put it all in at once?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by markc11
eyecandy, where does the solenoid wire hook to? I just wasn't going to wire up the solenoid if that was for high beams because I still will have the halogen high beam bulb. Also, are there any tricks to putting the lenses back together? Do I want to heat the housing with glue first then pull out of oven and press lens on or put it all in at once?
What headlights are you using that have two separate bulbs? All oem F150s have a single bulb for high and low.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
What headlights are you using that have two separate bulbs? All oem F150s have a single bulb for high and low.
Oh my 16 has a top and bottom bulb?
Old 05-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

On the 09-14 trucks, on the relay harness, there is a connector for high beam on light. You just need to put the wires from the solenoid in the supplied connector and plug into the harness. Not sure about the 15+ trucks...
Old 05-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
On the 09-14 trucks, on the relay harness, there is a connector for high beam on light. You just need to put the wires from the solenoid in the supplied connector and plug into the harness. Not sure about the 15+ trucks...
Yeah it's a 16 model and has a separate high beam bulb I'm pretty sure..I was going to just leave that in for high and have projectors for low
Old 05-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Yeah it's a 16 model and has a separate high beam bulb I'm pretty sure..I was going to just leave that in for high and have projectors for low
Would that not be the way to do it? I want to keep other halogen bulb. I think I saw where that's what some other guys were doing with newer models
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Would that not be the way to do it? I want to keep other halogen bulb. I think I saw where that's what some other guys were doing with newer models
You can have both, high beams from the projector and the halogen high. just get a splitter for $5 from TRS and plug it in!

Quick Reply: A couple of questions on H1 mini retrofit