Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Lighting
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

converting DRL on 2013 F150

Old 02-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
"OFFICIAL" TRUCK DRIVER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default converting DRL on 2013 F150

So I've been wanting to convert my DRL to the signal light in preparation of installing OEM HIDs. All of the dealerships I've talked to within 300km all say it's impossible to change it from the headlight to the signal light, and I'm done calling around after a year and a half. If anyone knows of a dealership who can do it in Alberta, I'll drive out to them definitely, but I think I have a solution that's essentially plug and play, just building the harness and disabling the original DRL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARNESS-3157...-/130744129604

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html

Using the 3157 extension harness, I plan to splice in this DRL module I've heard good reviews about. The only thing I'll need to do to the truck is tap a switched fuse so it turns on when the truck is on.

This will also allow me to wire in the LED's I plan to put in my retrofit, although I may get an extra harness dedicated for that splice in the event I take the HID's out and keep the DRL. For a condensed and rather convenient list of what I'm doing, I'm doing the same build as @jchargu3 in this thread: http://www.f150forum.com/f83/let-fun...p-step-289341/

If all my math, physics, geothermal nuclear reaction, and beer consumption calculations are correct, this will allow me to make everything completely removable in the event I need to remove something.

Insight welcomed, and if this idea works, it'll make adding and removing lights a ton easier.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Jeriko. I saw a thread somewhere on here where someone in the know posted the exact step by step swap out of the DRL that can be given a service department and they can do it in just a few easy steps.

I'll search around for it and see if I can find it!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Once the laptop(IDS) is connected, go to the tool box tab > module programming > programmable parameters > exterior lighting > the next screen is where the options are listed for DTRL.

These are the directions I gave my dealer to get mine switched in the states. Took them all of five minutes. Good luck!
mwcjr159 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcjr159 View Post
Once the laptop(IDS) is connected, go to the tool box tab > module programming > programmable parameters > exterior lighting > the next screen is where the options are listed for DTRL.

These are the directions I gave my dealer to get mine switched in the states. Took them all of five minutes. Good luck!
This is it!

There's this post that tells how to turn them on
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/13-drls...8/#post2919620

but MWCJR's post should be correct for changing wha tthe DRL is.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
"OFFICIAL" TRUCK DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcjr159 View Post

Thanks. I will see if any techs at the dealers I know people at will at least humour me and try this. They've all been very obstinate about it being possible, so I may end up driving a fair way. I'll still keep the extensions in mind for when I do my HID retrofit to tie in some switchback LEDs if I get really adventurous.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
2014 Lariat

Had my dealer do it without a problem. Just told them I wanted the Amber lights on. Done.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
"OFFICIAL" TRUCK DRIVER

okay, so the general consensus I have gathered from this and other forums is that Canadian dealerships are dumb *****. Well, another round of calling is in order this weekend then. Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM