Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Connecting Off Road Lights to Factory High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Off Road Lights to Factory High Beams

I am new to the forum and I am sure the answer to this questions is in here somewhere but I can not find it.
I have a 2014 F150 FX4 with the HID OEM Lights. I want to connect a 30" light bar so when the high beams are switched, the aftermarket light bar comes on.
It appears with these lights, there is not a separate wire for the high beams, but instead a wire that turns a lens in the lights. I have them on a relay, i have actually tried a few relays with low coil power but they do not work. All that happens is the light bar comes on for about half a second then turns off.

Has anyone tried this before or have a better location to get the high beam power switch?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Canadian EH?

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Wish I could help, I actually just wired mine up like the way you wanted, but with the normal wiring on my 2011.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Call me Mike Honcho

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to do this as well. (On my 2006)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

You might start frying your electronics and fuses if you keep that up. I would dump them hids.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Canadian EH?

Originally Posted by possum water
I'm looking to do this as well. (On my 2006)

Not hard to do, in this picture, it shows how I was planning on doing it. I simply cut off the switch that came with it, the blue wire was the switch wire, the red I used as the manually turn on, and the black was rewired to the high beam wire, to a 3 way switch. If you need any help, just ask.
The following users liked this post:
possum water (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Call me Mike Honcho

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveEH

Not hard to do, in this picture, it shows how I was planning on doing it. I simply cut off the switch that came with it, the blue wire was the switch wire, the red I used as the manually turn on, and the black was rewired to the high beam wire, to a 3 way switch. If you need any help, just ask.
Awesome thanks! I plan to start it this weekend or next.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SteveEH, this is exactly what I have done with previous trucks with out the new style of lights. It works great and is easy to do. But it does not work with the HID lights for some reason.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Canadian EH?

Originally Posted by Striker303
SteveEH, this is exactly what I have done with previous trucks with out the new style of lights. It works great and is easy to do. But it does not work with the HID lights for some reason.
Yeah, I wish I could help, the only thing I can think of, is see where the highbeam is in the passenger side footwell, I forget what that is called, but I had to tap into a wire there for my park lights for my towing mirrors. Another thing you could do is go to the dealer and ask them for a wiring harness printout or something along those lines, tell them what you are trying to do, and they might be able to help you.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM
3rd Mate Unlimited

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker303
I am new to the forum and I am sure the answer to this questions is in here somewhere but I can not find it.
I have a 2014 F150 FX4 with the HID OEM Lights. I want to connect a 30" light bar so when the high beams are switched, the aftermarket light bar comes on.
It appears with these lights, there is not a separate wire for the high beams, but instead a wire that turns a lens in the lights. I have them on a relay, i have actually tried a few relays with low coil power but they do not work. All that happens is the light bar comes on for about half a second then turns off.

Has anyone tried this before or have a better location to get the high beam power switch?
Hey Brian I just did this with a 42" light bar on my 2013 King Ranch with factory HIDs. This thread leads you step by step... https://www.f150forum.com/f7/tutoria...hbeams-207395/
In the thread he has halogen lights but it works with the HIDs. Just take out the passenger side headlight (3 bolts) and unplug the high beam hot wire (there are 4 wires going to the HID headlight, the high beam is the small purple one I believe) but use a multimeter to make sure which wire is the correct wire. The thread explains everything else you need.

Quick Reply: Connecting Off Road Lights to Factory High Beams