Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Best Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Bulb?

Hey guys,

I was just curious what might be the best replacement bulb for my truck. I don't think I am going to go HID just quite yet, so I was wondering what replacement bulb would be the best buy for the standard headlight bulb.

I am looking to increase my light output, so probably brighter, and more intense beam if that makes sense. I've looked at the Silverstar Ultra and Hella, but they weren't in my bulbs size at the store, so I am open to ordering something.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Silverstar Ultras will give you good light output but their service life is short at times. I do not know about Hella. Get them on E-bay and pay about half the price as a retail store.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you can do that
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Arrow best halogen replacements

Sorry to bump an old thread but this seems to be appropriate since its updated information. I, like others can't stand how short the life is on the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. I've upgraded to SOLUX technology which lasts as long as standard halogen rather than only around a year like the Ultras. They're not super-white, but they're definitely brighter...they advertise 80% brighter yet street legal, longest beam and best replication of daylight of any halogen style bulb. So far, so good - I love them...especially on my high-beams...and I live in the country and use my lights quite a bit.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default bulb

Try PIAA extreme white plus bulbs their i guess the same as 4300k hids but not hids if that makes sense. $93 on summit.com. i think there is some videos on youtube if you want to check them out.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff618
Sorry to bump an old thread but this seems to be appropriate since its updated information. I, like others can't stand how short the life is on the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. I've upgraded to SOLUX technology which lasts as long as standard halogen rather than only around a year like the Ultras. They're not super-white, but they're definitely brighter...they advertise 80% brighter yet street legal, longest beam and best replication of daylight of any halogen style bulb. So far, so good - I love them...especially on my high-beams...and I live in the country and use my lights quite a bit.
How can a replacement halogen bulb possibly put out 80% more light at a higher kelvin without upping the wattage big time? 80% more light than the factory H13 bulb would mean you need far more than a 55w bulb, dangerous to run on stock wiring harness. And at 4600k you would technically lose lumens due to the color. It just doesn't add up unless you are using separate halogen ballasts for boost. Got any output pics?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
How can a replacement halogen bulb possibly put out 80% more light at a higher kelvin without upping the wattage big time? 80% more light than the factory H13 bulb would mean you need far more than a 55w bulb, dangerous to run on stock wiring harness. And at 4600k you would technically lose lumens due to the color. It just doesn't add up unless you are using separate halogen ballasts for boost. Got any output pics?
They are not blue at all and are actually still on the yellow side, just brighter and more intense, not obnoxious though. I think it has to do with lack of coatings and filters. From what I understand, most of the white/blue bulbs use coatings and filtering to make white/blue light. The result though is actually less light. Solux came from the photography/art world and was designed to replicate true daylight. Somehow they do it without filtering the amount/volune of light. If you're a scientist (lol) here's what I read in addition to info at headlights123: http://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistor...omparison.html From what I understand, this is completely new to the auto industry. I'll try to take some pics.

Quick Reply: Best Bulb?