Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Best of Both Worlds. HID+LED driving lights

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink Best of Both Worlds. HID+LED driving lights

Stock. A few days after I took delivery.

Added PIAA ion Amber bulbs to factory fog lights. Added PIAA 2100i Long Range Foul Weather lights. Not really that long range, but a nice fill for the factory fogs.

Addition of the Go Rhino 7000 series Stepguard.

Addition of PIAA 6" RS600 HID driving lights.

I did the '13 Factory HID headlight update.

Removal of the PIAA HID's and install of the PIAA LP570 LED's

Best of Both Worlds. Reinstall HID's and placement of the LED's in between.

A few months ago I removed the RS600 HID driving lights from my brushguard in favor of new PIAA LED LP570 driving lights. I've read that when HID's are switched on, then off frequently, as in on coming traffic, that it really shortens the life of the HID bulb. And those puppies aren't cheap. And that LED lights can be switched on/off at will with no real fear of damage. So I figured the LED driving lights would be the ticket. But, I gave up a good bit of illumination and throw for the convenience. The LED lights are nice, but just don't have the illumination of the HID's. The solution? have both! So I removed the LED lights, and put the HID's back onto the brushguard. I then measured and marked for spacing in between them and mounted the LED's. After installing the harness for the HID's, I reattached it back to the original switch mounted by the headlight switch. I then bought a wireless remote harness and wired the LED lights with that. I mounted the fob next to the other switches. So Now I can use the driving lights as needed. Here are the stages of what I've done for lighting up the road.

Last edited by Scarlet; 10-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, man...really liking the stance of your truck...the brush guard and lighting gives it a nice, rugged image. The HID upgrade freshens it up, too. Good stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best of Both Worlds. HID+LED driving lights