Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Bad TRS Projector, What To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Bad TRS Projector, What To Do?

I did a halogen retrofit on my 2010 a few months ago (I got to say they turned out wonderful) Well I used TRS's Mini Stage III D2S 3.0 Projectors and now the Cutoff Shield for one the brights doesn't work anymore. I have tested them and the shield won't slide down after the lights warm up. These should still be under warranty but it's not like I can open the housings and replace them now.

Any Ideas what I should do or do I just write these lights off and forget about it.

Last edited by MT-Ford; 08-29-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:15 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the Mini H1 6.0 in my accord before I bought my 05 F150 this spring. After about a year, one shield refused to go down to enable the high beams. I took the whole thing apart and smoothed some burrs off the solenoid plunger/shield linkage connection and it started working again. Before taking it apart and smoothing it out, I called and TRS said they would replace the defective part, but it seems to be a common complaint so I didn't know how long the replacement would last. Same thing happened to the other side a few weeks later and I just left it.

It's a really simple fix, once you get the projector out of the headlight LOL. What a PITA.

FWIW, I have not done a projector retro on my 2005 f150 yet and thinking I will not go bi-xenon if I do, if that tells you anything.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:33 AM
Wondering Around

With the Stage III's I had to cut a substantial hole in the reflector buckets and epoxy the the crap out of them to mount them. So there's no way to really remove them for repair or replacement.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think you should try to take it apart and fix it since the moisture may leak if you don't seal it properly. Best way is to just replace it, they are cheap.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Timber Baron

Originally Posted by lukeharper
I really don't think you should try to take it apart and fix it since the moisture may leak if you don't seal it properly. Best way is to just replace it, they are cheap.
He managed to install the projector without it leaking. Headlights can be taken a part quite a few times before needing more butyl glue.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Go through TRS for the warranty. You might be able to just replace the actuator without removing the projector. I had the same issue and TRS just sent me the new actuator. If I recall, it was just held in by a couple screws and was easy to swap out once you got to the projector.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Timber Baron

He epoxied the projector in the reflector housing. It is impossible to remove the shroud from the front, and therefore the solenoid/linkage.

It's STUCK.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Toshbar
He epoxied the projector in the reflector housing. It is impossible to remove the shroud from the front, and therefore the solenoid/linkage.

It's STUCK.
I thought some of the shrouds for the D2S just clipped on over the projector? If that were the case, it wouldn't be impossible, just depends on how the shroud is connected. I swear the old Gatling shrouds were just clip on because a lot of people had them fall off after not clipping them properly.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57 AM
Wondering Around

Thanks for the replies guys. The shrouds are epoxied to the projectors, plus I scribed the shrouds to fit the reflector buckets perfectly. I Just don't see a way of fixing this. So much for a warranty when the projector is so permanent.

Quick Reply: Bad TRS Projector, What To Do?