Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Anyone Try LED Replacement Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
CFRDucz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Anyone Try LED Replacement Bulbs?

I was looking online at the LED replacement bulbs at this site...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...rd/f150/20/507

Didn't know if anyone had tried any of them, if so they liked them? I like the looks of my stuck lens's but I would like LED's but only if they are brighter.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've purchased a lot of stuff from Super Bright LEDs. I did the dash lighting on my '98 F150 and my bike's dash, as well as all of the tail/brake/turnsignals on the bike as well with bulbs from this place. In many instances I've found the bulbs to be at least as bright as the old incandescents. The big thing is how much of a reduction in power drawn from the charging system on my bike. Not including the HID I put in my head light I reduced the load on my charging system by some 40 watts. I put them in my truck's dash because I liked the color options and how I probably wouldn't have to mess with opening up the dash again any time soon. They've been in/on my bike for some 2.5 years and about 35K miles with no issues, so I'd say that's a strong testament to their reliability. I haven't used that particular bulb on my bike, but I have used other ones they have as 3157 replacements with great success. Definitely the way to go for tails and brake lights. But you'll need to use an inline resistor to slow down the blinking rate; LEDs blink much faster than incandescents (as there's almost zero time lapsed from off to on) so without resistors inline they'll blink much too fast. I use four resistors total between my front and rear turn signals on my bike (all led based) and they still blink almost twice as fast as the old incandescent turns did. I think they sell those too so no worries. The folks there are very helpful and know their stuff so they'll be able to sort it out for you if you call.

As for using them as a replacement for main head lights, Well, I guess its possible. There are many led lights available to put on motorcycles that are brighter and often put out more light than the standard headlights do, but you have to remember that they come in housings that are specifically designed to throw the most light. Putting an LED bulb in a regular light housing probably won't do much in the way of improving your light output. All of the good LED lights I've seen for the bike use a grouping of 3, 4, 5 or 6 individual LEDs whose outputs are combined (with appropriate reflectors, etc)to make a very bright light. And they always use more area than what you typically have on a 9007 bulb. I think the fact that many (if not all, but I'm uncertain of this) of the aftermarket headlights available for our trucks use LEDs for accessory lighting (parking, turns etc) and use either incandescents or HIDs for primary lighting. Hope this helps.

Last edited by roadtrip365; 02-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I used LEDs for the dash panels and other interior lighting. My headlights (projectors) have 6 LEDs, which I wired into my parking lights - they're really only bright enough to be considered running lights. I tried LED assemblies for reverse lights, but I'm not impressed with the brightness, because the bulb assembly is angled. If the angle is "straight through" I have seen one (not cheap) that has a magnifying lens that helps. SuperbrightLEDs are high quality, and don't fail quickly, like some ones off Ebay. However, I did get a number of 194 size ones off Ebay, and they've been great for over a year. There is also a TYPE of LED called Piranha, which is supposed to be brighter, probably because the surface of each element is larger, but I've never used them.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought some blue interior lights and white map lights from that site and like them a lot. If you go to my profile and look in my album I have some pics.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found some good ones on ebay and put them in this thread. replaced all interior lights except dash buttons and cupholder, and did the license plate lights for $30 total

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/interior-leds-139132/
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Maximus

Hello all! I just joined the forum today, so be gentle. I have an LED issue. I have replaced my reverse and tail lights with LEDs from SuperBrightLED.com. I have the expected hyper blinking. I also replaced the the cab mounted 3rd brake with an LED light kit from Anzo that I bought from Amazon. It all looks and works great. So I decided to upgrade the front turn signals and marker lights with LEDs from the superbright. When I installed the signal lights tonight, the blinker sound inside the cab was a buzzing and struggling to work sound. When the lights were used in the hazard mode they hyper blinked, when they didn't before. Any suggestions or ideas? I know about the low voltage that causes the hyper blink , I just don't know why two more LED bulbs would screw it up. It's a 2004 SuperCrew Lariat.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I got all of mine off of eBay and like them. I replaced all my dome lights and my turn signals and got the hyper blinking. but besides that I like them and they put out WAY more light than factory

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 PM

Default LED Hyper blink solution

I am new to this forum but not LED's. The fastest, cheapest, safest way to fix the "LED hyperblink" is to just go down to your local autoparts store and buy a replacement blinker module. These resistors that everyone is installing are just making the power draw equal or greater to the bulbs you are replacing. The replacement blinker modules are "SOLID STATE" and will fix the hyper blinking that y'all are experiencing. You wont have to cut/splice any wires either! Leave your factory wiring harnesses alone and go pay your local parts store a visit. You'll thank me later!

Note: Those resistors can get dangerously hot! Be careful with them.

Quick Reply: Anyone Try LED Replacement Bulbs?