Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Anyone install extra LED lights on their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Anyone install extra LED lights on their truck?

I'm thinking of installing these LED lights on my 2011 F150.

Amazon.com: Nilight 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree LED Spot Driving Fog Light Led Work Light Bar Mounting Bracket for SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Nilight 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree LED Spot Driving Fog Light Led Work Light Bar Mounting Bracket for SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp: Automotive

I want more light for the front. I was going to mount them in the middle where the front license plate would be. Anyone done this or something similar for more light while driving?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a few extra lights on the front of my truck. I'd ask what you're trying to accomplish, a fog light type set up or something for more distance. What you posted is a relatively cheap flood light type setup and they aren't really great as a driving light. They put a lot of light directly in front of the truck, causing your eyes to focus there rather than down the road. If that's what you want, that's fine. I have 2 lights about that size mounted in the middle, on either side of the license plate and a 30" LED bar mounted higher in the grille. I'll soon be adding distance lights somewhere else, haven't decided yet. I can get pictures up tonight if you'd like to see how I mounted everything.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

If you actually want more light, get a 20" or larger bar. Those little ones you posted won't be enough and you'll overdrive them. I have them mounted on my ATV and it just works there. You can find a single 20" for $50 on amazon really easily as well
Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a few.

Pugga is right about more close light actually hurting your distance vision. More light up close makes your pupils constrict, which negatively affects what you can see out beyond the well-lit area. For this reason, I disabled the mod that allows fog lights to remain on with high beams. It was too much up close. I have those LED bars aimed so that they do not flood immediately in front of the truck. Lot of wasted light up into the sky, but the only way to get around that is $600 Light Cannons that shoot the light out far via a pencil beam.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

^ or a Rigid Hyperspot bar. I haven't seen any of the knockoffs produce one yet, and I"m not paying Rigid prices, even as much as I want a Hyperspot.
The following users liked this post:
Toshbar (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
^ or a Rigid Hyperspot bar. I haven't seen any of the knockoffs produce one yet, and I"m not paying Rigid prices, even as much as I want a Hyperspot.
I just bought a pair of Rigid D2 hyperspots and the Alternative Off Road mounts for some distance lighting. We'll see how they do. If they work as advertised, it wasn't that expensive of a setup. Ideally, I'd love to have a Rigid RDS hyperspot bar but one for the grille was like $1,200.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Toshbar
I have a few.

Pugga is right about more close light actually hurting your distance vision. More light up close makes your pupils constrict, which negatively affects what you can see out beyond the well-lit area. For this reason, I disabled the mod that allows fog lights to remain on with high beams. It was too much up close. I have those LED bars aimed so that they do not flood immediately in front of the truck. Lot of wasted light up into the sky, but the only way to get around that is $600 Light Cannons that shoot the light out far via a pencil beam.
I've seen pics of the ones I ordered above illuminating the road very far away. The ones above at the spot beams, not the flood ones. I steered clear of the fog style ones. These should be much better.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordman1979!
I've seen pics of the ones I ordered above illuminating the road very far away. The ones above at the spot beams, not the flood ones. I steered clear of the fog style ones. These should be much better.
There's not much difference between the two really. Two of my bars(the upper ones) have the outer reflectors orange peeled to produce a 'flood' beam. The lower one is all smooth reflectors. I really can't tell the difference. The reflectors are not quality enough for either design to matter.

Quick Reply: Anyone install extra LED lights on their truck?