Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Adding EXTRA lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adding EXTRA lights

I have a 2013 F-150. I made the mistake of adding extra running or marker lights and tapping them into existing hot line for the existing marker lights.. Little did I know they would blow the fuse. Long story short, took the r\truck to the sealer to find out why I had not dash lights. Serviceman told me with the NEW computer aboard this truck that the lights I installed were too much of a draw on that line I tapped into. I was informed that ANY added light should be in their own HOT fused line, not any existing HOT line. Just a word of ADVISE.... By the way, the fuse that blew, only the DEALER carried. Since FORD uses the mini size fuses (made in Germany) now. Not the regular size found a any Auto store...
Attached Thumbnails Adding EXTRA lights-desktop.jpg  

Last edited by Hdwindjammer; 01-01-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: want to insert photo
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

You added 16 running lights down each side....?

to each their own i guess.

Pretty simple to calculate current draw from the lights you add to determine if you need to add a relay or can tap into the existing circuit.

I have been able to find the mini fuses in stores around me, so you don't have to go to ford.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hdwindjammer
ANY added light should be in their own HOT fused line, not any existing HOT line..
Finding an "empty" available 12V fuse slot can easily be found with a 12V test light. [Hot 12V with key in forward position]. You've got 2 choices of locations..... pass kick panel -or- engine compartment fuse panel. 14-16 gauge sufficient enough to power up your driving lights.

Not worth the reply..... but his math skills are sick .
I counted 16 as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Dude I would like to ask you why do you want to have marker lights on your awesome truck looking like that? I dont think they look correct on your truck. Your not driving a 18 wheeler.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Eh.....no such thing as too many lights

The following users liked this post:
Floridaguy80 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^ lmmfao
Old 01-07-2015, 12:01 PM

ChillyCat... on the 2013 models the fuse panel in under the hood on top of the radiator. Their are NO empty slots to add fuses, not like the older models....where you could just tap into an existing HOT line. The NEW models are too computer sensitive...lol

Red13... I am a retired truck driver My last tractor was a T-900 Kenworth. all decked out with over 100 LED lights added from tractor (inside & out) to trailer... I like LED lights and I am in the process of adding 7 more LED'S across the tool box... Old truck drivers never die, they just keep move'n on...lol....

Lewis26...what state do you live in. I am in Mid Ohio......

Last edited by Hdwindjammer; 01-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdwindjammer
ChillyCat... on the 2013 models the fuse panel in under the hood on top of the radiator. Their are NO empty slots to add fuses, not like the older models....where you could just tap into an existing HOT line. The NEW models are too computer sensitive...lol

Red13... I am a retired truck driver My last tractor was a T-900 Kenworth. all decked out with over 100 LED lights added from tractor (inside & out) to trailer... I like LED lights and I am in the process of adding 7 more LED'S across the tool box... Old truck drivers never die, they just keep move'n on...lol....

Lewis26...what state do you live in. I am in Mid Ohio......

Personally I think it looks awful, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm in Indianapolis.
The following users liked this post:
Gagoosebuster (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those would look sick at night. I too am a light fanatic. Just recently hooked up a sho-me flasher to my box lights and it looks pretty good. I guess everyone likes something different on their trucks.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Default added lights

axle2012... Big thanks..... your 110% RIGHT my truck does look sick at night. I also have 4 oval amber LED's in chrome that fits in the middle of my frt bumperand 4 oval LED's in chrome under the back as turn signals and brakes lights.. Different strokes for different people....
And for the rest of the hatters, I would imagine if I saw photo's of your trucks, I might find particular things that I would care for either.... But, that's cool with me. I don't want to be like everyone else... I follow my own path... This was my last TRUCK..... Go ahead and rip this one apart....LOL ... By the way this was my daily ride pushing out 650 hp, in a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke....... with LED's in the bed, wheel well LED's, LED interior light through the inside and a 2000 watt sound system with 8 - 6x9 Boston speakers with custom made door panels and 3 - 10" Sub's behind the rear seat.... and way too much more to list...
Attached Thumbnails Adding EXTRA lights-dscn0827.jpg  

Last edited by Hdwindjammer; 01-09-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding EXTRA lights