Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2015 Headlight/Fog Light LED Upgrade (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2015 Headlight/Fog Light LED Upgrade (Pictures)

Installed the LED Highbeams/Lowbeams from F150LEDs.com this weekend. Also installed the fog lights. These are all the Mark II versions. I have a write-up in the main 2015 forum about my thoughts... they look good. It's tough to shoot headlights with a camera but you get the idea. The fogs actually do have the same color temp as the headlights, it's just the camera plays tricks:

Low beams only

Low beams and fog lights

High beams

Low beams and fog lights

High beams
The following 3 users liked this post by Vycor:
93CobraOH (02-02-2016), Elkhart (02-06-2016), Jeff Wilson (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Scooda

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been looking at these but thought they were a bit pricey. Why did you choose these over other options? Why LED and not HID? This will probably be my next upgrade.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Elkhart (02-06-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Howdy.

It's my solemn duty to inform you that those are NOT 'upgrades' - they are disasters.

Blinding folks is not considered to be socially responsible.

F150LEDS takes cheap nameless chinglish junk, rebrands it, puts it into a fayncy package, runs a fayncy (and fact-free) website, adds a massive markup and sells it to unsuspecting folks. They have NO R&D, NO QA, nor do thay have any cogent testing procedures. It's a purely junk-fer-profit-driven enterprise that cares nothing for actual high-quality, precision lighting performance. Junk peddlers.

Drop-in PnP HID falls under the same umbrella - ineffective and blinding. NO halogen reflector can EVER properly manage a drop-in non-halogen emitter. F150LEDS (among others) KNOWS this - yet sell the trash anyway. Why? Because it generates enormous profit - and they Do. No. Care.

There are more than few folks on here who can corroborate - and who understand that it's foolish to spend all of that money on a beautiful truck, then install cheap, utter garbage like this. These folks tend to do it correctly - investing the required funds to achieve truly superior performance; Effective AND Safe. With actual product quality.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum - apparently you didn't get the memo, or simply not bothered to go look for it. OR, worst-case - you simply do not care for anyone else. I'm hoping this is not the case. I truly am.

Research is what distinguishes homo sapiens from homo erectus.

Cheers
MGD
The following 6 users liked this post by MGD:
03f15012 (02-02-2016), ak_cowboy (02-05-2016), Bill_The_PA (02-08-2016), Magnetic5.0 (02-06-2016), RES4CUE (02-06-2016), Summers22 (02-02-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vycor
Installed the LED Highbeams/Lowbeams from F150LEDs.com this weekend. Also installed the fog lights. These are all the Mark II versions. I have a write-up in the main 2015 forum about my thoughts... they look good. It's tough to shoot headlights with a camera but you get the idea. The fogs actually do have the same color temp as the headlights, it's just the camera plays tricks:

Low beams only

Low beams and fog lights

High beams

Low beams and fog lights

High beams
Looks very good!!!
Elkhart (02-06-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

^^^ Speaking of HOMO Erectus, look who just turned up, lol ....

Begone, Troll - yer like a bad rash ....

MGD
Old 02-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MGD
^^^ Speaking of HOMO Erectus, look who just turned up, lol ....

Begone, Troll - yer like a bad rash ....

MGD
You may want to clean up your language. I have no idea why you are bashing me, but you are showing folks why you are a problem here.
Elkhart (02-06-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL someone isn't a happy camper. I realize they rebrand someones product, whatever it is what it is. The product works fine for me. I'm not blinding anybody and the light output is great.

Why LED over HID. Well I used to work in the aftermarket lighting industry. I've ran many types of HID systems over the years in various vehicles. I'm honestly NOT a fan of the aftermarket HID kits. They've always been slightly "illegal" because they lack a highbeam, unless your vehicle has separate high/low. They didn't seem to work well in the rain. Something about that pure white HID light didn't work that well in the rain, at least with aftermarket kits. Housings were not designed for HID (same for LED honestly). Plus they require more power, which means you MAY need an upgraded wiring harness and/or battery connections.

LEDs run less power (they do generate heat however still)
LED/HID pricing is about the same, depending on the kit

I didn't expect to get good results with LED, in a housing made for Halogen but honestly I'm very impressed with the kit so far. I had a few issues with the fit that required some force, but the kit works. I don't like their "boot" mod, but it works for now. We'll see how they work out over time.

A lot of people have good experiences, some bad. I had a good experience. I've HAD bad experiences with HID lights before. I've HAD bad experiences with other LED kits (different vehicle).

EVERY kit and EVERY vehicle will differ. My F-150 and this kit, worked well for me so far (again, time till tell how they hold up).
The following 2 users liked this post by Vycor:
93CobraOH (02-02-2016), Jeff Wilson (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Great job!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Hmmm... You are right to say HIDs have no high beams; that's why they require an HID projector. If you want quality aftermarket HID lighting, then Morimoto is your best choice. Stick to OEM otherwise. LED has improved massively, but HID equipment is still brighter than what LED can do.

PnP HIDs or LEDs are not the way to go. Unfocused, scattered, and blinding light is always guaranteed. I'm no expert, but at least I know the basics.

BTW, Cobra? He's doing such because of a huge suspicion of a past troublesome member we had that exhibitied the same habits you do. I have several reasons to believe him.
RES4CUE (02-06-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Scooda

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
Howdy.

It's my solemn duty to inform you that those are NOT 'upgrades' - they are disasters.

Blinding folks is not considered to be socially responsible.

F150LEDS takes cheap nameless chinglish junk, rebrands it, puts it into a fayncy package, runs a fayncy (and fact-free) website, adds a massive markup and sells it to unsuspecting folks. They have NO R&D, NO QA, nor do thay have any cogent testing procedures. It's a purely junk-fer-profit-driven enterprise that cares nothing for actual high-quality, precision lighting performance. Junk peddlers.

Drop-in PnP HID falls under the same umbrella - ineffective and blinding. NO halogen reflector can EVER properly manage a drop-in non-halogen emitter. F150LEDS (among others) KNOWS this - yet sell the trash anyway. Why? Because it generates enormous profit - and they Do. No. Care.

There are more than few folks on here who can corroborate - and who understand that it's foolish to spend all of that money on a beautiful truck, then install cheap, utter garbage like this. These folks tend to do it correctly - investing the required funds to achieve truly superior performance; Effective AND Safe. With actual product quality.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum - apparently you didn't get the memo, or simply not bothered to go look for it. OR, worst-case - you simply do not care for anyone else. I'm hoping this is not the case. I truly am.

Research is what distinguishes homo sapiens from homo erectus.

Cheers
MGD
Thanks for the helpful info and not so helpful info.

Sure, I know how to search just like I have been for the past 24 hours or so. When someone posts a project that they are currently working on, why not go straight to the source and ask them why they did what the did? Think about what you type my friend, not all people on this earth are idiots.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Wilson:
93CobraOH (02-02-2016), BlueZead (02-08-2016)

Quick Reply: 2015 Headlight/Fog Light LED Upgrade (Pictures)