Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2015 F-150 LED Headlight Solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2015 F-150 LED Headlight Solution

Sooo as some of you know I've been trying to figure out a decent solution for our 2015's with regards to aftermarket LEDs. Let's not get into the battle of LED vs Halogen vs Projection vs Legal vs Illegal, etc... that's not what this thread is about, there are other threads on this forum to debate that topic.

This is to show the ongoing project status.

So my friends over at StreetGlow first sent me out an H11 and 9005 LED kit. I tried to mount these in my Halogen housings, and while the bulbs fit, I had no where for the ballasts to go. So I shoved them inside the housing. They fit with a bit of work. Can't really do much about this... yet.

That was my first SLIGHT issue. The 2nd major issue was the boot didn't fit. The LED bulbs, as we all know, are longer, due to a fan. Well I wasn't about to cut a hole in the boot, because that's how my other kit from F150LEDs.com failed. Water got RIGHT in. No good.

Sooo what to do what to do... well I ordered some spare boots and went to fabricating.

Taking two boots I cut the center out of one, superglued it (to hold it together temporarily) to each other, then ran a bead of silicon around the outside. I'll run another inside (because I'm super OCD and want to ensure a VERY tight seal) once it's dried.

What's this do? Well it basically gives me an extra 1/2" to 3/4" of head room, which should be perfect for the light. I was able to get the boot on originally EXCEPT for one small area, because it was rubbing up against the wire coming out of the LED. This out to give me some clearance for that wire AND so the fan can suck some air in (i'm told the LED's run cool so the fan actually takes hot air and blows it on the LED in the winter, well we'll see how that actually works now that is enclosed).

I've yet to mount this yet but so far so good. The idea is panning out. Again IF this does work and it all fits, we'll have to see how the equipment holds up since it's now in an enclosed area. I believe it should be fine, but time will tell....

Once I get a solution, test it (going to give it a water torture test by basically hitting the back side of a housing with water for 15 minutes to see if she leaks... far more abuse then a truck would ever take), ensure it works... I'll sell a kit to everybody... plug and play. You just buy the kit, you'll get everything already fab'd up. You just install it. Whatever the parts cost me naturally for the boots/silicon i'll charge you (it's a kit so you get the LED lights as well, that's where I make a SLIGHT Profit since I'm an authorized StreetGlow reseller.)

I'll update this with more photos, here are a few to start:

The LED kit and boots

The headlight bulb boot

Measuring how much space I have

Cutting a 2nd boot so I have an opening

After gluing the two pieces together

You can see the room I gained

The extra room I gained
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice work - thanks for taking the time to figure this out!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Banned

Just did up all 4 for my lights... now they dry 24 hours... got silicon all over the place... next time, I wear gloves!
The following users liked this post:
darrylgibbs (02-16-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG Vycor, you're about to bring on the wrath, hahaha

I read that thread you started a while ago.

I bought a new 2016 F150 but didn't get the 502A package, so no LEDs, bummer. So I'm just going to live with the Halogens for regular use and put a crap load of Rigid lights on the front for my off-road mountain driving.

Looks like you put some work into that solution, hope it all works out (and you don't blind anyone - ha - had to throw that in there).
darrylgibbs (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Banned

Okay sooo things went pretty smoothly tonight. I found out the high beams, a piece of cake. The ballast fits right in the housing, plenty of room. And the factory boot fits over it, no issues. The low beams were a fit more difficult. I found that on the passenger side I was able to put the ballast on the side, and get my boot on. My silicon did not hold (guess I should have sanded the boot a bit first) but I went around it with superglue to give it a water tight connection, a few layers. Got boot on without any real issues (silicon came off as I put boot on from pushing it).

Driver's side, not as easy. The ballast caused the bulb to shift and it was against the edge, so I couldn't get the boot on. So I had to put the ballast in so it didn't put pressure on the bulb, this allowed me to get the boot on with the help of a plastic wedge to push the boot down. Silicon came off again but a few layers (about 10) of superglue gave me my watertight seal. Actually the silicon here stayed on better (thicker bead) only a small section where I pried/prodded came off.

HOLY CRAP the light output, my gawd. There actually is a cut-off. NOT as clean as Halogens, this I know, but there is a cut-off. The bulbs allow you to have the 2 led's on the top/bottom (12/6 oclock) or on the sides (3/9 oclock). Outta the box it was 3/9 and I was told by manufacturer this is better for city as it doesn't throw the light as high. GOOD, that's what I need. I don't want to blind driver's and where I drive, LOTS Of street lights. Country driving might be best by rotating the bulb/lens with the included allan wrench (or is it alan). Driving seemed normal. I could see my white 6500k temp light, not one person flashed me or adjusted their rear views. When I threw the brights on, it lit up the entire road and MAN signs just POP at you, even with lows on. Anything reflective lights up, which is great. I saw cones on the road light up that would not light up that well with the halogens.

This isn't an OUT OF THE BOX plug and play install, due to our LOVELY headlight designs, but not too bad. The highs are easy, the lows require a bit of creativity to get the boot to cover the light... but you all saw what I did... I'll post pics of the lights tomorrow but here is some of the installation process tonight.

If anybody is interested in buying any:

H11 (Low Beam):
Amazon.com: StreetGlow H11-40W CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit-Pair (6000lm): Electronics Amazon.com: StreetGlow H11-40W CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit-Pair (6000lm): Electronics

9005 (High Beam):
Amazon.com: StreetGlow 9005-40W CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit-Pair (6000lm): Electronics Amazon.com: StreetGlow 9005-40W CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit-Pair (6000lm): Electronics

Low Beam

My homemade boot (just 2 boots on top to give me more room)

High beams were easier, factory boot fit, loads of room in there
darrylgibbs (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Very nice! Good custom work right there. Hpoefully it works out for you with being water tight...moisture in the headlights SUCK.

Another alternative for the dust boot....Retrofit Source has dust caps that they sell for people who do their projector retrofits. If you guys knew what size the cap is then you guys could possibly get one without having to fab a boot up. They have 75mm, 80mm, 90mm, and 100mm dust boots.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...l#.VsVDzfIrLIU

Sorry if I am intruding on your business but I wanted to let you guys know of another possible option. It may be easier or it may not work with your headlights at all. Just something else to look into.
darrylgibbs (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip 06F150... I'll give it a look. I'd love to buy something pre-made/etc... and this isn't really a business... more of a way for me to give back and help other people who want LEDs and come up with a "kit" for them so it's plug and play

Update: Just bought an 80, 90 and 100mm. I know my size is 90mm but I want some various sizes to try things.

This MIGHT do the job. This might be perfect and allow a good connection and a simple/sealed kit I can offer the F150 community, at a good price. If this works I can most likely offer a Hi/Low Kit with boots for $300. That's what F150 sells their kit for, only it's not as bright. 6000 lumens compared to 4000 lumens.

Last edited by Vycor; 02-18-2016 at 12:28 AM.
darrylgibbs (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

More Updates: DRL work with this kit, no issues. No flickering.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the 80, 90 or 100mm work?

Quick Reply: 2015 F-150 LED Headlight Solution