Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS your 4RW75 Trany Living on Borrowed Time??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Default IS your 4RW75 Trany Living on Borrowed Time??

My 2005 was purchased by my dad and ran back and forth from Albany NY Area to West/Central NH for the 1st 2 or 3 summers to bring pontoon boat and 29ft jayco trailer over and back for seasonal camping, as well as running back and forth thru the summer. It has hauled at least 3000 to 4000 or more lbs 4 to 6 times per year totaling around 500 or so mile per year. Otherwise it has mostly been a road queen. I love her, see is (or was) a beautiful truck. But at 136K the trany when suddenly. No forward gears but reverse worked fine. Come to find out its another Ford Defect/design flaw, on the list of severals, cab corners, spark plugs, exhaust manifold, IWEs, Cam Phsers, etc.
The issue lies with the Forward Drive drum snap ring groove being cut in to the drum resulting in afailure of the metal over time due to the higher pressures in the 2005 andnewer tranys. The result is no forward gears but reverse works fine. If/when youhave your trany rebuilt or replaced make sure they are using a redesigned part(most likely after market as I am not seeing a redesign referenced in FordMotor parts). I am having a Jasper Rebuilt installed here is the link to theirweb archive of videos;
http://www.jasperengines.com/video-library lookat the Ford4R70W/4R75W Heavy Duty Forward Drum Update video or here is theutube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrcF6dVDkY0&feature=youtu.be
May also want to look at JASPER 4.6L/5.4L 3-Valve VVT Oil Pump Update Video as they explain one of the reasons the phasers fail