Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, the factory trailer brake is nice.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Wow, the factory trailer brake is nice.....

Just hooked the travel trailer up to my ecoboost for the first time and took it for a shakedown run. Ive never had a good trailer brake before and at first I thought it wasnt working because it is so smooth compared to the one I had in my dodge. my old one would ramp up to a preset level no matter how hard you pushed the brakes, then wouldnt release until about 2 seconds after you let off the brakes. On a side note, not looking forward to resetting the WD hitch. Its still set up for my 3/4 ton dodge. good enough to pull the trailer the 10 miles were taking it this weekend, but definitely gonna have to be reset for anything longer. The dodge was a taller truck, and I dont think its transferring enough weight to the front wheels. front end felt light on my shakedown run
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM

If anyone can point me to a good tutorial on setting up a WD hitch without the benefit of a scale that would be awesome
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

Lots of videos on YouTube
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Google "WDH setup" and you'll get links to videos (Curt, Reese, etc.), .pdf documents (Equal-i-zer, Reese), and a bunch of websites and forums with info about setting them up.

Have fun!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

What brand of WDH do you have?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
Just hooked the travel trailer up to my ecoboost for the first time and took it for a shakedown run. Ive never had a good trailer brake before and at first I thought it wasnt working because it is so smooth compared to the one I had in my dodge. my old one would ramp up to a preset level no matter how hard you pushed the brakes, then wouldnt release until about 2 seconds after you let off the brakes. On a side note, not looking forward to resetting the WD hitch. Its still set up for my 3/4 ton dodge. good enough to pull the trailer the 10 miles were taking it this weekend, but definitely gonna have to be reset for anything longer. The dodge was a taller truck, and I dont think its transferring enough weight to the front wheels. front end felt light on my shakedown run
I use to use a Tekonsha on my 08 f150...wasn't impressed with it. My '13 has the OEM, Love it, very smooth. I set my at 6.5 towing 7500 lbs.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ecobeest
What brand of WDH do you have?
It a Reese that's 10-15 years old

Quick Reply: Wow, the factory trailer brake is nice.....