Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you say anything to another camper whose setup is massively wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Would you say anything to another camper whose setup is massively wrong?

I engaged the camper next door to us in a conversation because we both have F 150's and Keystone Bullet TT's. His is a 29 foot Bullet Premier with two super slides, and a dry weight of about 7,000 pounds, and a hitch weight of 850. His trailer is brand new and this is their first trip. We are in Colorado, and there are high winds and 11,000 foot mountain passes all around us.
I asked what engine he had in his truck (figuring he must have the 5.0 or 6.2, as there was no EB door badge) and he said that he has the 4.6. So, here is his truck.....2010 STX SCAB non max tow 4.6. For the purposes of this thread I will presume it is the 3 valve engine. I do not know his gear ratio, but he said he could tow 9,200, so the 3.73's? He did state, "we have not towed in windy conditions yet, but the truck seems to do just fine so far."
I then noticed that he has no WDH and no sway control.....just a bumper ball!! I asked him if his truck sagged a little, and he said, "yeah, but not too bad."
I don't know if I should sit him down and explain what I know he needs to tow this kind of weight and length, but I do know he may be headed for trouble down the road. I don't want to be the "know it all", yet I know in my heart that I have more experience and knowledge on safely towing, as I have over 20,000 miles towing our TT all over the U.S., in all kinds of conditions.
I would just be sick to think that they got hurt because I didn't say anything.

What would you do, and what would you say? If anything......

Last edited by Adobe2X; 05-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd speak up, but not in front of his family. I'd bring him over to my set-up and show him how I do it and pull out the manual with the numbers. Show him the sticker on the hitch.
The following users liked this post:
sunset (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd speak up. I would definitely appreciate someone giving me a head's up!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Man...if I saw that I would give him my WDH/Sway Control and upgrade my own to the e4. I presume he had no receiver tho...WOW. Endangering himself, his family and any others that meet up with him on the road.
Ricktwuhk (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...

I simply try to provide some info and hopefully allow the other party to come to their own conclusions without pointing out a blatant issue specifically. Some folks just don't care and ignorance is bliss...
Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've tried to give my opinion to a few guys but only if they are willing to listen. The set up that completely baffles me are the guys that have their spring bars so tight that they almost touch the trailer frame. Worst I saw was no extra links between the bar and chain bracket. He just said he needs that or he sags too much. Tried to let him know that if he were to tilt his hitch head back some he wouldn't need to have the bars snugged up to the nuts. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. Wished him a nice weekend and walked away shaking my head. He probably did the same muttering I was the moron.

I also like to hear others on their experience and opinion and take all the information to make my own decision.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Boy is this thread timely for me, buying a 5400# T.T. And don't want to be that guy... I have the 5.0 2014 Screw with 3.55 gears. Done the math on all the #'s and just under my max towing, & payload so should be fine. Thanks to all the threads on this forum hope not to be that guy others are shaking their heads at, also put airbags on and a equalizer WDH.
Attached Thumbnails Would you say anything to another camper whose setup is massively wrong?-image-2750242806.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

To say nothing means that you're putting his, and other lives at risk. Speak up, as suggested showing him your setup, the max info on the trailer hitch, etc.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset
Boy is this thread timely for me, buying a 5400# T.T. And don't want to be that guy... I have the 5.0 2014 Screw with 3.55 gears. Done the math on all the #'s and just under my max towing, & payload so should be fine. Thanks to all the threads on this forum hope not to be that guy others are shaking their heads at, also put airbags on and a equalizer WDH.

Looks very similar to mine...if you have too many drinks and get confused at the RV Park, I will help ya' out!!!
sunset (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

if they get defensive, give them a way out... like talk about how irresponsible it is for manufacturers to give the tow ratings that could never be reached with their non hd payload trucks or play the nostalgia card and say something like... "back when these had solid axles, the tow rating was actually what you can tow... now with this new IFS, they inlfate the towing number but don't increase the payload and on top of that, the hitch is only good for 500 pds without a WHD... i miss the good old days."

it doesn't matter that some of it is complete crap, you give them a way out of their defensive position and people love to remember how much better things were. if they get to the defensive position without a way out, people dig their heels in and stop listening

Quick Reply: Would you say anything to another camper whose setup is massively wrong?