Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will installing a leveling kit effect my WDHitch while towing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Will installing a leveling kit effect my WDHitch while towing??

I'm ready to upgrade my stock P rated tires to a LT tire and now after falling in love with the look of a leveled truck and bigger tires (305/55/20)that's the way i want to go. But my only concern is i tow a heavy travel trailer(7500lbs) with a weight distribution hitch that right now is setup perfect. Does anyone out there tow heavy with a leveling kit?? Or do you just recommend i leave it alone and buy stock size LT tires? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Kevin
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

If nothing else, I would think that the hitch would have to be readjusted after bigger tires were put on. The "angle of the dangle" would change with the truck being slightly higher.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

A leveling kit usually means you will raise the front suspension to raise the front of the truck so it's level with the back of the truck. That should not change the height of your receiver hitch more than an itty bitty bit.

LT305/55R70 tires are about 1.3" more diameter than stock P275/65/R18 tires, so they should raise the receiver hitch less than an inch.

So if your weight-distributing hitch already has an adjustable shank, then all you have to do is lower the ball mount on the shank an inch or so to get back to where you started.

If you don't already have an adjustable shank, or if the shank will not adjust for enough drop to result in a level trailer with the WD hitch hooked up, then you may need to replace the shank with one that has more drop. For example, click on the following link to see one with a 5.25" drop:
http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...le_Shank,63971

Part II: Those taller tires are going to change your effective rear axle ratio by 3.86%. Your 3.73 axle ratio will "feel like" a 3.59. Also, your speedo and odo error is going to increase 3.86%, so an indicated 70 MPH will be an actual 72.7 MPH on Officer Bob's radar gun. And the indicated 400 miles on a tank of gas is gong to be an actual 415.4 miles.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm towing a 33ft TT dry wt 5900# wet 7500# +\- with a 2012 5.0 3.73, upgraded to LT tires, which added roughly the same lift and I have 5100's all around with the front set at 1.25. So I think we are close. Still have a slight rake unloaded. I towed for the first time last week and was able to keep her level with WD. I can't compare towing prior to lift and tires, but it "feels" as good or better than my old tundra TV. No comparison to my 11 F350 DRW. Regardless, I think you'll be fine. I'd suggest adding one at a time and seeing how it feels!

My best advice is to listen carefully to SMOKEYWREN, he has a wealth of good info! I followed him on the super duty forums and am glad to see him here too!!'
Attached Thumbnails Will installing a leveling kit effect my WDHitch while towing??-image-821111383.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the info guys!!

Quick Reply: Will installing a leveling kit effect my WDHitch while towing??