Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I Have Any Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I Have Any Regrets

I just purchased an F 150 Supercab 2.7 Ecoboost with the trailer towing package, which theoretically gives me a towing ability of 7,000 +.

We are looking at a camper with a dry weight of 4,380, GVW of 6,000 and a dry tongue weight of 500 lbs, which seems heavy to me given the dry trailer weight.

I know this is well below the towing capacity Ford lists, but I wonder about the loaded tongue weight and how all of this will tow in the real world. I might add that we will be doing a lot of secondary roads and hills.

What say you all?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Whats your payload capacity of the truck? You should be fine.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I certainly would not be worried about power with the 2.7. As mentioned, knowing ur payload will help folks answer if it's more than ur truck can handle.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by OGOBRacing
We are looking at a camper with a dry weight of 4,380, GVW of 6,000 and a dry tongue weight of 500 lbs, which seems heavy to me given the dry trailer weight.

Normal average tongue weight is 12.5% to 13% of gross trailer weight, and it can go up to 15% with no cause for concern if your tow vehicle has adequate payload capacity for that tongue weight. Assuming the dry trailer weight is accurate (it's probably understated by several hundred pounds), and assuming the dry tongue weight is accurate, that trailer's dry tongue weight is 11.4% of dry trailer weight.

With 6,000 pounds gross trailer weight, your wet and loaded tongue weight (TW) could be as high as 900 pounds without affecting the handling of the tow vehicle - assuming you are towing with a properly installed and adjusted weight-distributing (WD) hitch. Any TW 500 pounds or more requires a WD hitch, so don't expect to get by with an ordinary ball mount/drawbar weight-carrying (WC) hitch.

Quick Reply: Will I Have Any Regrets